Updating BIOS

muppetlol

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
Is updating BIOS really necessary for overclocking i5 3570k on my ASUS P8Z77 V-LX board? I don't want to risk updating my BIOS and killing my motherboard if something goes wrong. Is it okay to stay at my current BIOS version and just overclock it instead of updating to the latest version?

Overclocking your i5 3570K, 99.9% of the time has absolutely nothing to do with a BIOS update!

BIOS updates usually address, new CPUs, New Memory or Memory Compatability, or direct listed issues that have arisen with the motherboard that need to be resolved that are usually addressed in the details of what the BIOS flash covers.

Too many out here think just because a new BIOS is released they should flash to it, and that is so wrong!

You're advised by the motherboard manufacturers not to BIOS flash unless you're having a problem and many are having problems from not properly setting their overclocked BIOS settings because they don't have a clue as to what they're doing.

Well when do I BIOS flash?

When the BIOS flash details cover something specific you're running like;

This flash improves the functioning of G-Skill memory modules.

If you are running G-Skill memory modules then by all means flash it, if you are running Kingston memory Don't, because it does not cover Kingston Memory.

Understand?