Motherboard displays wrong FSB speed

drowsyman

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
I have a NF980-G65 motherboard from MSI running an AMD Phenom II X4 945 processor, 850W corsair PSU, 2X2 GB of G.Skill ram, 0 raid HDD, and GTX 460.
I was fooling around with the FSB speed trying to get some overclocking done, and now the default is set to 240 (Instead of 200).

If i change it to anything under 240, it changes the other numbers such as CPU speed, but the displayed number for FSB stays at 240. When I start windows 7, it shows the computer running on 3.00 ghz (stock), but when i run prime95, it crashes almost immediately. When i go back into the bios, it loads with 3.60 ghz cpu speed and 240 FSB. I even tried to reset the cmos jumper to reset the settings. It reset everything else (such as boot sequence) so i know its resetting, but the default stays at 240.

Also, when i try to set it above 240, it displays the correct FSB and cpu speeds.
Its only when i set it below 240 such as 220 that it keeps displaying 240 while showing cpu speeds based on 220.

Did i damage the motherboard?
WHAT DO I DO?!?!?!?

drowsyman

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
fixed

for those who are interested...
i had the dumb motherboard's "easy oc" on for some reason...

the msi mobo has a little switch that increases fsb frequency by 10, 15, or 20% by default...

drowsyman

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
its not in the bios. I was trying overclocks and i went too far and made the system not start at all, so i had to reset the cmos jumper to reset the bios.
and while waiting the short time, i got bored and looked around the motherboard for dust.
and on the motherboard theres a physical switch that you can turn on/off that increases the fsb speed by 10,15,20% based on how you configure the two switches.
thing is, the switches say 1,2 on one side and "ON" on the other side. However, while i was playing with it, i must have forgotten which side was off and left it on the "ON" side. i realized later that i was reading it as "NO" (ON upside down) and figured it meant "no oc"...

so yea... that was why

drowsyman

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
I actually posted this under the overclock section as well since its related to that too, and someone told me to try and reset it while turning off the psu. while i was moving the cmos jumper, i saw the red little switch and thought "wait... FML... 20% oc on the FSB thats.... GOD DAMMIT!"
so yea, i smacked myself in the back of the head, flipped off the dam switch, and went on my way to attempt to juice some extra performance.

i also noticed that my cpu can must be broken...
I was doing stress tests with the cpu at 3500 mhz and saw speedfan reporting temps of 80C, looked away, looked back, and saw it was at 103C...
and saw that the fan was still running at its measly 3200rpm.
im pretty sure thats not right... so i went ahead and bought a cpu fan to replace it

drowsyman

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
the one that came with the cpu...
i hear people reapply that stuff every so often...
am i supposed to be doing that? i only put some on when i first build the system...