Sign in with
Your question

What is too hot in a case?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 8, 2013 5:55:13 PM

I recently built a new computer, and noticed that it runs at about 35 degrees in idle and if I am doing a scan with windows defender it gets up to around 48 degrees. According to my motherboard manual it says proper operating temperature is 45 degrees. As such I am wondering if I am to be concerned about the temperature getting above 45 degrees during a windows defender scan? (Nothing is overclocked in the computer everything is as is)

Parts:
Processor: Intel Core i5-3570K
Video: XFX FX-787A-CDFC Radeon HD 7870 Double D Video Card - 2048MB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
Motherboard: BIOSTAR TZ77XE3 Intel 7 Series Motherboard
Ram: Patriot Viper 3 Extreme Performance Black Mamba PV38G160C9K 8GB
Case: ULTRA XBlaster Pro U12-42350 Mid-Tower Case -
Hard Drive: Western Digital Black Caviar 2TB 7200 RPM Sata 3.0
Dvd RW: Samsung SH-224BB/BEBE Internal 24X DVD Burner

There are three 120 mm fans installed in the case. One at the back which came with the case which is blowing out.
One at the bottom which is set to suck air from inside the case and blow it under the case. Finally one in the front panel which sucks air from the outside and blows it in. The power supply sits in the bottom the case with the fan pointing down (there is only one fan outlet on the power supply).

The fans in the bottom and front are extra fans I purchased which are Rosewill 120 mm rated at 2000rpm, 74.48 CFM. All fans are plugged directly into the motherboard using a three pin connector.

More about : hot case

February 8, 2013 6:28:26 PM

What software are you using to monitor your temps? I think the temperatures you are looking at is probably the CPU temperature. Your motherboard manual probably refers to the case or mobo temperature. Anyways, for a CPU, 35C idle and 48C under load are very good temps, so don't worry. I think your i5-3570K will automatically shutdown if it reaches 95C or something so you're far from this.

Here is a good software to monitor the temperatures of all the components inside your PC including CPU, GPU, PSU, case, mobo, etc... (Note that you need to run the software in admin mode if you want to see all temps):

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Note: Don't click on the big "Download" button in the middle that's just publicity, the software is on the right : "1.21 setup, english"
m
l
February 10, 2013 3:18:26 PM

I feel sorta dumb now, after re reading the manual the temperature the post indicator was indicating after boot was the CPU temperature not the case temperature.

I tried the software you recommended and have a question about it. I noticed it gives the temperature for my HD, Video, processor and motherboard. But no case temperature. I assume I can just look at those motherboard temperatures it is giving me and if any of the five temperatures its giving me for my motherboard are above the 45 degrees I have an issue correct? Also am I correct in assuming that the separate temperatures its giving me for the motherboard are for the different chip sets on the board right?

Motherboard Temps:

TZ00 27.8 C
TZ01 29.8 C
THRM 32.0 C
TMPIN0 31.0 C
TMP1N1 26.0 C
m
l
!