Spark?

xasylum

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
So I just put in a new power supply and got everything plugged in and did a test boot without my gfx card so I turned it off and put in my gfx as it made contact it sparked and now my pc wont turn on is the mobo fried ? Psu? And will my gfx card be fried as well?

Please help.

xasylum

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012

Yes It was still plugged in.

The graphics card connector edge that was plugged into the PCI slot was probably inserted at a slight angle (similar to inserting RAM modules). In doing so some of the contacts shorted out.

Check the computer using a different graphics card. Or try to boot without a graphics card. This will tell you whether the motherboard is ok.

The PSU should be fine.

xasylum

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012

It doesn't seem to boot without it so maybe its the mobo then. Thanks for the help is there a way to check without a mobo speaker since I dont have one :(

xasylum

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012

It's a hp prebuilt board that im using for my custom build, its a h-rs880-uatx

Also how likely is it that my gpu is damaged?

One way to tell is by installing it in a different computer.

Usually the weakest link will fail. So if the motherboard has failed chances are that the GPU is still good.

xasylum

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012

Well thank you very much I really appreciate your help. I hope you have a great day. Again thamks for your help looks like I need to get a new mobo for my phenom II x4 so If u a recommendation let me know. Thanks again.

giltyler

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
You will need to have to have a full windows installation disk if you get a new MOBO since the copy that came with the computer was OEM and tied to that old MOBO.
It is possible that Microsoft will let you transfer the product key if you call if for phone activation.

xasylum

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012

How would i go about that, any help would be much appreciated. :)

giltyler

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
If you are sure the Mother board is bad you can buy a replacement from New Egg for as little as $40.00 the next thing you need is to find a copy of windows.
New Egg sells 2 different types OEM(cheaper) but tied to the motherboard and full versions that can be activated from machine to machine as long as you do a online de activate prior to moving the software. Is your board from a Pavillion Elite e924F.
If you still have the HP case with the Microsoft Code you might get away with borrowing a copy of windows for the install and talking to Microsoft about re activation due to hardware damage.

xasylum

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012

I wrote down the code but the mobo i ordered is an asrock. :(

It is worth a try. Legally Microsoft is not obligated to activate the old code on the new motherboard, however if you call them for phone activation and explain the situation they may make an exception. You don't have any other options anyway.

xasylum

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012

ok will do thanks for the help everyone if all goes wrong i will just use windows 8 for the better performance