Which Mobo will do me right?

jpumagat

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
Hello,

I just purchased the AMD Phenom ii X6 1075T and was hoping to get some recommendations on a mobo. I was looking at the ASUS M4A89GTD Pro but it sold out. I plan to use this computer for Solidworks as well as a home entertainment system. Any suggestions?

jpumagat

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
Thank you for the reply! Unfortunately I already purchased the CPU :( Given that, I guess i have three more questions.

#1: Are there other mobos outside of ASUS that you would recommended? The price range im looking is between 100-200$.

#2: This is my first computer build so I'm pretty lost as to what im doing here but this is my build plan so far. I was wondering if you see anything that could cause me problems down the line that I may have missed.

-Coolermaster RC 690 Mid Tower (purchased)
-AMD Phenom ii X6 1075T (purchased)

Parts I intend to purchase
-Cooler Master GX Series RS750-ACAAE3-US 750W power supply
-One of the fore-mentioned mobo
-SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX

#3: As for RAM, i looked for a QVL for the ASUS M489GTD Pro but wasn't sure how to properly pair RAM with a mobo. Ive read you just make sure its on the QVL and is DDR3 but I've seen some timing numbers that I don't really know what to do with.

Sorry for being such a newbie but I've heard this place was a great place to get some help. Thanks again for any and all feedback!

ANS:
1. See the side-by-side; ASRock 'is' ASUS but I also included an MSI.
2. Changes:
_A. I would use Corsair PSU vs CM; {Japanese capacitors, Single Rail, over/under/fault protection}. Look at the Corsair TX650W or TX750W if you plan to use (2) ATI GPUs. Use configuration -> http://www.corsair.com/psufinder/default.aspx
_B. GPU ATI 100-505605 FirePro V5800 ; offers DirectX 11. I ass-u-me you read the list of GPUs from SolidWorks - they're ALL Pro GPUs {FirePro}.
3. RAM Yep QVL is the preferred method of selection, but the 6-cores often have their own list. Often the QVL is very limited and an 'old' list. In addition, you can also use the RAM Mfg's Configuration to select Tested RAM.

Corsair Phenom II - http://www.corsair.com/products/phenomii/default.aspx

Hope this helps :)