Intel I7-930/AMD X6 1090T/XEON W3520: for web&db server, 4 VMs

G

I'm building a new computer, intended mainly for the follwing:
- developing/testing web applications;
- running 3-4 VM simultaneously (VMWare). Each VM with decent ram, Will run at least one browser, or will hold a web or db server.
- oracle server
- tomcat
- ftp server
- eclipse & other developer tools
- other tasks: i want to simulate database/application performance tests
- HD movies, music, etc
- heavy multitasking: all of the above to run simultaneously;
- NOT FOR GAMES
- NOT FOR VIDEO / PHOTO EDITING
- i want a quiet PC case, air cooling, a little overclocking (need stability for database/apps)
- budget: about 1000 EUR / 1500 USD

I want to decide a configuration for all above to run altogether smoothly, instantly, to start as quickly as notepad :D

I want to choose between Intel I7 930, Intel XEON W3520, AMD X6 1090T:
Budget: about 1000 EUR / 1300 USD only for the components below:
I do not want the cheapest, but the best of all three (or any other equivalent configuration). I've considered I7 980X, good to dream, nice to have, but is out of budget.

Configuration #1:
CPU: Intel Core i7 930 2.80 GHz box
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7
RAM: Corsair 12GB DDR3 1600MHz CL8 XMS3 Dominator triple channel kit
GPU: not important; e.g. SAPPHIRE HD5770

Configuration #2:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition 3.20/3.60 GHz skt AM3 box
MOBO: ASRock 890FX Deluxe3
RAM: 8GB : 2 x A-DATA 4GB DDR3 2000MHz CL9 X series v2.0 dual channel kit
GPU: not important;

Configuration #3:
CPU: Intel Xeon W3520
MOBO: Gigabyte EX58-UD5
RAM: 12GB DDR3 1600MHz
GPU: not important;

Which configuration would be more appropriate for the above described purposes ?

Thank you in advance!

P.S. This is what I already have:
- HDDs (2 WD RE3 250 GB, and 1 x WD CaviarBlack 1 TB), suspended with cables
- PSU : Cooler Master RS-850-ESBA 850 WATT
- Case: Aerocool RS9 / CoolerMaster Centurion Black 590 (to be decided, have not bought yet)
- CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14

xaira

Distinguished
well i was gonna say the i7 just because it can take more ram

ive heard that amd owns the crown for vertualization, since the ram capacity is not near what i expected you would need, i suggest you just go with the amd and adde 4gb of ram

Registered RAM's will be very costly.. You should spend all that money in getting higher quantity RAM as vm's love them.. I'll recommend getting the i7 930 with max amount of ram possible.. You should not worry about CAS latency, speed and other stuff.. Just get the most stable config.. As i know, the kingston hyper-x T1 series is very stable with excellent quality memory modules.. Just make sure to start with 12 GB minimum.. The X58 platform can take upto 24 gigs so you are pretty nicely covered there.. For the GPU I'll suggest a nvidia video card as they've a wider platform approach when compared to ati/amd video cards and since you are running multiple virtual machines (multiple OS's including unix based also i guess), You'll have drivers ready for use.. A GTS 250 should fit your purpose nicely..

Actually according to Johan de Gelas over on Anandtech's IT site, Intel owns virtualization, at least as measured by VMmark: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2964/the-intel-xeon-5670-six-improved-cores/7

VMmark is another completely Intel dominated benchmark. One six-core Xeon 2.93 is worth two six-core Opterons at 2.6 GHz. It is important to emphasize that we are talking about benchmark which runs up to 120 VMs, so this benchmark might be influenced greatly by VM exit and entry times. So let us take a look at our own virtualization benchmarks with fewer VM to hypervisor transitions.