Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Trouble with asus sabertooth x58

Last response: in Motherboards
November 30, 2010 11:10:31 PM

Hello,
I just got my sabertooth in today and I'm already having issues. The CPU and VGA lights are on when I power up, and my case fan and cpu cooler don't come on either. I've never installed a new motherboard before. Also, I just now realized that there is no plug for the ribbon cable for my DVD drives. I'm upgrading from an asus p6t deluxe V2. Any advice is appreciated, I don't know why the vga and cpu led's are on. Both my cpu and gpu worked fine on the other mobo.
a b V Motherboard
November 30, 2010 11:34:57 PM

ribbon cables.... as in ide? make sure you have the power/hdd/etc pins installed correctly, double check your cpu power and any pcie power/ extra power inputs are connected. Reseat the cpu and HSF. Do a cmos clear. Troubleshoot, troubleshoot...

Is your power supply sufficient (you didn't post much about the hardware)?
Score
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a c 716 V Motherboard
November 30, 2010 11:42:42 PM

^Yep 'ribbon' ---> time to spend another $20 on a SATA DVD.

Did you connect BOTH the 8-pin CPU and 24-pin power to the MOBO and the power to the GPU from the PSU {assuming it has a connector}?
Score
Related resources
December 1, 2010 2:54:01 AM

I have an hx1000 watt corsair PSU. I've checked my cables and reseated the CPU, did the cmos reset, still won't do anything. I Don't get any sounds. Beginning to think my cpu is damaged? I hope not.
Score

Best solution

a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a c 716 V Motherboard
December 1, 2010 3:01:22 AM

Next, breadboard place MOBO on cardboard and use the minimum configuration, verify ALL components are properly seated -> don't baby.

Minimum components:
1. One stick RAM
2. Detach all headers; except CPU fan. ; use a paperclip or screw driver to short the power switch.
3. Primary HDD
4. NO Keyboard or Mouse
5. No DVD

PSU, GPU, RAM, HDD/SSD, Monitor - that's it.
December 5, 2010 10:12:39 PM

I was able to get everything up and running, I'm actually replying to the thread on it now :)  I had to order the SATA DVD drives, and I'll be doing a reinstall of windows etc. Thanks for the help guys.
Score
December 5, 2010 10:12:56 PM

Best answer selected by metalfingers.
Score
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a c 716 V Motherboard
December 5, 2010 10:17:26 PM

Unfortunately it's common -- you'd think but ... I've lost count with DVD drives.

Congratulations! :sol: 
Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a c 135 V Motherboard
December 6, 2010 12:35:10 PM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!