Sign in with
Your question

A Build from $1000-$1200.

Last response: in Systems
March 27, 2010 8:25:38 PM

How could I fix this build to make it at least $1200, but still retaining the GPU and CPU. The ram also looks pretty good to me. But anyways, how could I fix this build, but still retain the same performance for a cost much cheaper then the original? If you have to make drastic changes, it's alright. Thanks in advance guys.

Heres the build, http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

More about : build 1000 1200

March 27, 2010 8:44:52 PM

I'm not an expert, but based on a lot of my research I did for my first build (mostly on these forums and website) I would say there are several things you could do.

You could use a less expensive memory. I think the memory you have chosen is nice, but a lot of people like the G.Skill Ripjaw series, and it would shave about 50 bucks off. You could also use a less expensive PSU. You probably won't need a 750 watt, and if you went with a 650 watt Corsair thats another 50 bucks or so. The Phenom 965 is the same chip as the 955, its just factory overclocked, so most people recommend you just buy the 955 and with a few clicks (literally) you have a 965, for about 30 bucks cheaper.

Your cpu cooling I don't know much about, but a LOT of people swear by the Cooler Master Hyper 212, and that, again, will shave a good 40 bucks off of your build.

If you aren't dead set on that case, the HAF 922 is popular. I went with a Lancool pc-k62, which I hope works out. If you go with the HAF 922 you will save another 100 dollars.

The hard drive is great as well, but if you don't need the full 1TB you could go with a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 drive...again about a 30 dollar savings and comparable in speed to the spinpoint.

Just some ideas...again I'm not an expert, but this is based on the research I've done here. Sorry for no links I'm not really good at that kind of stuff (yet).

a b à CPUs
March 29, 2010 3:01:44 PM

I would highly recommend letting us know what you're planning on doing with the computer. For example, if it's a gaming build, there's a lot I would change (specifically the RAM). You may want to take a look at the guidelines (link's in my signature).

Here's what I would build as a gaming machine:

CPU: i5-750 and Asus P7P55D-E Pro $375
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $120
GPU: HD 5870 $420
HDD: Seagate 7200.12 1 TB $90 (if the F3 costs more with shipping)
PSU: Corsair 750W 80+ $90 after rebate
Case: HAF 922 $90 after rebate
Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner $24
HSF: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus $35

Total: $1,244

However, given what you've said so far, here's my recommendations.

CPU: Drop that to the X4 955. It's the same chip, just without a factory overclock.
Mobo: Get this board: Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 (combo with X4 955). It's more future proof and higher quality.
RAM: Unless this is a heavy encoding machine, 4 GB is more than enough. Grab some 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 sticks.
Optical: You can get a cheaper drive. The burner is purely a price decision. Don't forget to look at the shipping costs.
HSF: Expensive one, and not better than the Hyper 212.
Compound: It's unnecessary unless you're trying to break an overclocking record. I'd recommend ditching it.
Case: That's not a very high quality case. I'd get either the HAF 922 (if you want the HD 5870) or the Antec 300 Illusion (combo with a great 650W PSU.
!