Sign in with
Your question

Silverstone Fortress 2 Wiring Help

Last response: in Components
June 6, 2010 9:45:54 PM

I am in the process of wiring up my new Fortress 2.
I Decided to order 3 extra Silverstone 19.7" convenient hot-swappable SATA II Cable Model CP05 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ). I got them on amazon for about 4 dollars each (well worth it when i was going to have to buy sata cables anyways). I have installed them and sleeved Every cable that came with the case, even had to solder the fan controller switches again (big pain in the butt getting those tiny screws to line up again).
I purchased a couple pre-sleved 3 pin fan extensions so i could hide the wires a little better, and the 3 dollars that they cost was well worth the time, especially because i dont have pin removal tools (i used a soldering tool).
I am happy with everything so far except for the 4 pin cables from the Silverstone hotswap cables, i have them tied down really well but i really want to clean it up a bit more.
My question is, Can i cut the cables and solder them together to use just a single molex connector? A link to my power supply is bellow, i would think that it would work, the only problem i could see would be putting too much power thru 1 cable, but the power supply has a single 12v rail so i would imagine it would be fine, although im not sure about the 5v ( i believe molex connectors use 5v and 12v? ).
Also, please tell me what you think so far, any suggestions on the layout? I have not received the powersupply yet (got it on ebay brand new sealed for 120.00 shipped) and im waiting on my 5870 (350.00 shipped after Bing Cashback).
I put my case on top of my desk if you are wondering why i dont have the front audio connector pluged in...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks.

Sorry about the pics - REALLLY old digital camera, prob shoulda used my droid... o well
the h50 is configured in a push pull exhaust.

June 7, 2010 3:25:46 AM

little bumpity bump - sorry
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
June 10, 2010 1:52:08 AM

no i dont. but i have no answers for you. sorry
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
June 10, 2010 6:07:41 AM

Reckon your best bet is read your drives labels or google them, see how much power they need then figure if one molex line will support that, best I can suggest man sorry.
Great C.M. by the way :) 
Moto
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 10, 2010 9:38:12 PM

@moto
18fans?
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
June 11, 2010 5:23:22 AM

yes, Eighteen,
I do include the psu fan in the count of that though :p 
keeps it all nice n cool though :) 
Moto
m
l
June 11, 2010 6:07:18 AM

eloplayspolo said:
My question is, Can i cut the cables and solder them together to use just a single molex connector?

I have all seven of mine connected to one molex on my FT01.

m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
June 11, 2010 6:19:12 AM

Cool, that definatively answer Op then :) 
And makes C.m a damn sight easier for you :) 
Nice job man,
Moto
m
l
!