Why not load programs to an 128GB SSD?

Maverus

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
New build I-5, sata III, USB3, SSD & HDD Raid1

I have read everything about how to separate Windows 7 on the SSD and program files on the HDD.

My quesiton is why? Here is my perspective, I am not a big gamer, my last rig built 5 yrs ago (XP pro MCE) has one drive for os & programs and a raid1 drive for data. After five years of use and various programs loaded my os drive is only 49GB.

My SSD is 128GB and after a clean WIN7 X64 and motherboard utilities install I am using less than 10GB. Why shouldn't I continue to load my progarms to the SSD and store my data on the HDD????

Because you don't want to fill up your SSD over 90%, If you do not you have trouble because the SSD need 10% space to do the trim and GC ( Garbage collection ). if you don't use a lot the program like photo/video editing software and save them in SSD that you are fine.
I put the win7 pro, MS office, antivieus, Utilities software, photo editing software, and some games(BF3, crysis 2) in my 128GB SSD that is only using <50GB. I do the photo edit but i save them in other HD.

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
You definitely can fill it up and performance does degrade a bit but not too terribly much if it's a modern SSD. The SandForce SSDs are going to degrade the least because they've got extra spare area reserved (which is why you see 120GB vs 128GB), but judging by your capacity, you don't have a SandForce drive. There is spare area in the GB vs GiB transition which the controller can use and the non-SandForce drives also come with large DRAM caches that can be used for the purposes of spare area.

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010

The whole purpose of an SSD is speed and performance. Partition the HDD in 2. Your OS on the first and your video drivers, and a few games are all you want on the 2nd partition of the SSD.
Data storage keep on a HDD.
Your don't want to do a lot of write and deletes to the SSD because in time it degrades the performance. Make sure TRIM is enabled. There are some great articles to optimize and SSD here in tom's. Read them.

Good luck !!