Help me!?!?!?

sugi43

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
Hi, I need help choosing a mobo.

I can't decide between the MSI 870A Fuzion ATX AM3 and the ASUS M4A89TD PRO.

I'm planning on getting a AMD Phenom II X6, 6GB DDR3 ram and the mobo. I already have a Geforce GTX465 (with bios updated to GTX470)

I'm looking for an am3 board with usb3.0 and 2 full PCIEx16 slots (Both running at x16)
Let me know which board you think is better and also which brand is better in general. (like in terms of customer service or things like that.)

Also if you have a better suggestion lemme know. thanks :)

Solution

Go with the Asus board. Generally, Asus builds a better product than MSI (arguable, of course).

AMD systems use a dual channel config (2 matching DIMMs). High end Intel systems use a tri-channel config (3 matching DIMMs).

For an AMD config like you are considering, look at either a 2x2GB (for 4GB) or 2x4GB (for 8GB) for your best performance option. You can, of course, go with 6GB (not sure why) by installing 2x1GB and 2x2GB (in the proper slots).

Good luck!
Welcome to Tom's Forums! :)

Clearly the ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3 and your GTX 465 can barley saturate x4 -> the GTX 580 can barely saturate x8 ; if that 'opens' any options.

You do NOT want to purchase Tri Channel RAM; more than likely 2 of the 3 sticks will work. Yes, the Tri Channels are indeed listed the caveat is 2 will work. Therefore, the most 'efficient' is 2X4GB or 2X2GB; Dual Channel is the more efficient than Quad Channel.

Corsair Phenom II - http://www.corsair.com/products/phenomii/default.aspx

When I mentioned 'opens' options -> Are there other MOBOs that you would have liked but ruled-out because of the x16/x16? The ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3 is a great MOBO and I recommend it often -- I can easily spend your money -- I was trying to potentially save you some.

Regarding RAM get either the 2X4GB or 2X2GB Dual Channel Kits; 4GB is recommended for 64-bit OS and 2GB for 32-bit OS. However, if you're needing >4GB e.g. Photoshop, CAD, Premiere, etc then I'd go the 2X4GB route. {see the Corsair link}

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Go with the Asus board. Generally, Asus builds a better product than MSI (arguable, of course).

AMD systems use a dual channel config (2 matching DIMMs). High end Intel systems use a tri-channel config (3 matching DIMMs).

For an AMD config like you are considering, look at either a 2x2GB (for 4GB) or 2x4GB (for 8GB) for your best performance option. You can, of course, go with 6GB (not sure why) by installing 2x1GB and 2x2GB (in the proper slots).

Good luck!

Solution
^I see, but I'm confused WHY, often the QVL and/or Tested RAM often lists the Tri Channel Kits?! Once in a while you 'can' get all (3) to work playing musical DIMM slot locations {undocumented}. But IF you want to add a 4th --> NO WAY, you'll need to 'toss' the third stick and replace with a 'matching' Dual Channel Kit. Also, I cannot imagine having a Dual Channel + Broken Channel can be 'efficient?'

Think'n out loud. :)

COLGeek

Cybernaut

I think the answering as to why you see 3-channel listed in AMD QVLs is because the DIMMs are idential whether used in a 2-channel or 3-channel config. It is the chipset on the mobo that actually makes it a dual or tri channel system. I agree on your "I cannot imagine having a Dual Channel + Broken Channel can be 'efficient'" comment as well. Neither effective nor efficient.

For sugi43, for dual channel configs to work properly, they need to be installed with matched pairs of DIMMs in the proper memory slots on the mobo.

Yep, never suggested otherwise -> "You do NOT want to purchase Tri Channel RAM"

Just 'friendly talking'...The response was to you COLGeek. Also, I was putting it out there that often I see the QVL Tri Channel and often only 2 stick will work and the third doesn't work...

COLGeek

Cybernaut

I am with you, brother. You are spot on. HOOAH!!!