Sign in with
Your question

Z68 RST Cache with 2 raid arrays

Last response: in Storage
April 28, 2012 1:28:05 PM

Hi all,

I have 4 hard drives configured into 2 Raid 1 arrays (not 10) on an asus p8z68-pro. The Operating system which I want to accelerate is on a partition on the first raid array (which has 2 partitions)
Will I be able to accelerate that partition with an sdd on my current set up using intel rapid storage?

Thanks
a c 317 G Storage
April 28, 2012 8:31:28 PM

Not worth wasting an SSD for SRT. With prices coming down, like the $220 for a 256gb M4 at Buy.com, I'd go with a big boot/program drive and use the others for data. You will really not benefit from SRT, that was a good idea if SSDs got stuck at 30gb, but not with the prices falling like they are.
April 28, 2012 8:37:43 PM

RealBeast said:
Not worth wasting an SSD for SRT. With prices coming down, like the $220 for a 256gb M4 at Buy.com, I'd go with a big boot/program drive and use the others for data. You will really not benefit from SRT, that was a good idea if SSDs got stuck at 30gb, but not with the prices falling like they are.

I did have dual OCZ SSD in a raid 1... but i had the sandforce bug so I got rid of them.

You say I won't benfit from cache... do you mean it won't work or the read performance gains arent that great compared to Raid 1 ?
Related resources
a c 317 G Storage
April 28, 2012 8:52:20 PM

The performance of SRT compared to an SSD is quite poor.

I would suggest using a good single SSD, good backup of data, and I clone my SSD to a small HDD with Ghost 15 (although there are many other good software alternatives) every other month on an external dock (just make sure that you have a system repair disk made to expedite using the clone). Totally reliable, fast and cheap.
April 28, 2012 9:10:35 PM

That sounds like an awful bother to me lol. I choose raid 1 so i dont have to backup :lol: 
a c 353 G Storage
April 28, 2012 9:33:46 PM

Raid1 is great for servers, But for Home systems it's advantages are limited. Granted it protects against single drive failure. It does not protect against a host of other problems such as a PSU failure that wipes out both drives, Virus infection, MB failure ( you are limited to getting a NEW MB with the same controller). If I had raid1 on a my Home computer, I would still have to back up to a external HDD.

Agree with RealBeast on SRT. Was designed for users who could NOT afford a large enough SSD for OS + Programs. In fact Intel cam out with a SSD just for SRT, it was a 40 gig SLC (note NOT MLC) SSD. An SRT will speed up boot time and most often usted programs, past that point it is a hit or miss.
a c 317 G Storage
April 29, 2012 12:09:32 AM

bleechy said:
That sounds like an awful bother to me lol. I choose raid 1 so i dont have to backup :lol: 

RAID is not a substitute for backup, just a fault tolerant storage method -- remember that when you are posting on how to recover your irreplaceable data when it all goes horribly wrong. :bounce: 
April 29, 2012 5:10:12 PM

Ya thanks for the feedback.. I do backup my most important data to a hosted data storage. But seen as the feedback here is pretty negative towards the performance of intel srt its probably not worth the money.

Thanks guys.
!