Z68 RST Cache with 2 raid arrays

bleechy

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2012
Hi all,

I have 4 hard drives configured into 2 Raid 1 arrays (not 10) on an asus p8z68-pro. The Operating system which I want to accelerate is on a partition on the first raid array (which has 2 partitions)
Will I be able to accelerate that partition with an sdd on my current set up using intel rapid storage?

Thanks

RealBeast

Titan
Not worth wasting an SSD for SRT. With prices coming down, like the $220 for a 256gb M4 at Buy.com, I'd go with a big boot/program drive and use the others for data. You will really not benefit from SRT, that was a good idea if SSDs got stuck at 30gb, but not with the prices falling like they are.

bleechy

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2012

I did have dual OCZ SSD in a raid 1... but i had the sandforce bug so I got rid of them.

You say I won't benfit from cache... do you mean it won't work or the read performance gains arent that great compared to Raid 1 ?

RealBeast

Titan
The performance of SRT compared to an SSD is quite poor.

I would suggest using a good single SSD, good backup of data, and I clone my SSD to a small HDD with Ghost 15 (although there are many other good software alternatives) every other month on an external dock (just make sure that you have a system repair disk made to expedite using the clone). Totally reliable, fast and cheap.

Raid1 is great for servers, But for Home systems it's advantages are limited. Granted it protects against single drive failure. It does not protect against a host of other problems such as a PSU failure that wipes out both drives, Virus infection, MB failure ( you are limited to getting a NEW MB with the same controller). If I had raid1 on a my Home computer, I would still have to back up to a external HDD.

Agree with RealBeast on SRT. Was designed for users who could NOT afford a large enough SSD for OS + Programs. In fact Intel cam out with a SSD just for SRT, it was a 40 gig SLC (note NOT MLC) SSD. An SRT will speed up boot time and most often usted programs, past that point it is a hit or miss.

RealBeast

Titan

RAID is not a substitute for backup, just a fault tolerant storage method -- remember that when you are posting on how to recover your irreplaceable data when it all goes horribly wrong. :bounce:

bleechy

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2012
Ya thanks for the feedback.. I do backup my most important data to a hosted data storage. But seen as the feedback here is pretty negative towards the performance of intel srt its probably not worth the money.

Thanks guys.