Sign in with
Your question

Have to re-install Nvidia Drivers at every reboot

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 11, 2010 5:15:03 PM

Hi all

I have an annoying problem with my computer.

I am running an Nvidia GTS250 1GB card with Windows Vista 32-bit.

Ever since I got it I have always had to reinstall the drivers each time I rebooted otherwise certain games would not run.

Once the drivers are installed, all games run fine and there are no other issues with my computer.

The only clue I can give is that when I use the Smartscan tool on the Nvidia website, without initially installing the drivers the result comes up that my drivers are version 03.04.

Of course, I have tried uninstalling drivers and re-installing, rolling back drivers, installing older versions , etc and all to no avail.

Any help would be warmly appreciated.

Thanks in advancee

Rickee
a b U Graphics card
March 11, 2010 7:01:45 PM

Quick question have you checked the manufacturer of your video cards website to see if they provided thier own drivers?
March 13, 2010 10:37:26 AM

I have and they do but they have the same problem...
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2010 11:59:43 AM

Dumb question, do you press the power button and hold it until it's off? Otherwise the hard drive should save those drivers everytime it reboots.
March 13, 2010 7:16:10 PM

No, you may have been on a winner though if I did...
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2010 8:03:47 PM

This may or may not help, but can you list your PC specs. I'm starting to be just as confused as you.
March 15, 2010 7:13:23 PM

1.8Ghz Dual Core
4GB RAM
2 SATA HD's
Asus Nvidia GTS250 1GB
Vista Basic 32-Bit
550W PSU
Asus P5KPL-AM iG31 Socket 775 onboard VGA 8 channel audio mATX Motherboard

Let me know if there's anything else that might help..
a b U Graphics card
March 15, 2010 7:15:29 PM

Did you set up RAID correctly?
March 16, 2010 2:03:59 PM

I don't think so as I'm not sure what RAID is?

What do I need to do?
a b U Graphics card
March 16, 2010 6:21:38 PM

Generally if you have more than one hard drive you need RAID, I'm really hoping someone will respond to this because I only have one hard drive and don't know how to set up RAID either. Other than that are you sure you have 2 hard drives ond one is set up to copy the other?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID
March 17, 2010 6:58:09 PM

I'm not particulularly sure that I need to have RAID set up or that it would affect the issue that I have. The two seperate hard drives that I have aren't connected up or set to copy eachother. I use my C drive for installation of programs and games and the other is just for large files and music.

Any other idea's on what the problem might be and how I can fix it?
a b U Graphics card
March 17, 2010 8:11:38 PM

Not really. Can you boot into safe mode and install those drivers and see if it works?
March 19, 2010 11:05:06 AM

Tried that before and it doesn't work. :( 
a b U Graphics card
March 19, 2010 11:28:03 PM

Have you tried unplugging the SATA drive with your large files and just using the programs drive to install the drivers?
April 2, 2010 9:06:34 PM

I have the same problem with GTX260 cards - I get a blank screen if I try and run certain games in full-screen untill I reinstall the graphics drivers. Then they run fine until the next boot.

Btw. I don't understand why the topic has gone onto RAID in this thread. Still, just to answer, on the Asus board I used it was a BIOS option to include SATA drives in the RAID array.
April 5, 2010 10:22:07 PM

i am using ASUS Nvidia GTS250 512mb running on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and im getting this same problem, everytime i reboot im back at 03.04, and its causing my games to run badly, anyone have any answers for this?
May 10, 2014 10:44:24 PM

I've got the same problem.
win7 ultimate
cpu 2600
GPU Radeon EAH HD6970 reference
C:/ OCZ vertex3 130gb??? ssd
intel 30gb ssd
I have the same problem but I think that i read some where that the card might not be seated right in the PCIe slot propperly........ not 100% sure. I i did a clean install because i was having this problem. I only really noticed the problem when I started playing bf4 I have yet to re-seat the card but i'll inform yall about the results when i do
a b U Graphics card
May 11, 2014 1:30:30 AM

Have you tried installing into a differnet directory instead of the one you have been?

I would ensure the achi controllers, chipset drivers and bios is up to date
!