Sign in with
Your question

Want a full water cooling loop - NZXT Phantom 410

Last response: in Overclocking
February 9, 2013 4:47:39 AM

Hi all,
This will be my first time doing a custom watercooling setup and I have tried to do as much research as I can and I have a list and plan for my watercooling loop and I wanted to put it up here and see whether I was on the right track or not.
Important system specs:
NZXT Phantom 410
Intel 3570k
Gainward Reference GTX 670
Asus Sabertooth Z77 motherboard
Antec 620 Kuhler
Corsair AX-850
Picture of setup: http://i.imgur.com/SPMW4C3.jpg

Watercooling Plan:
Rad: XSPC EX240 x2 $90
Res:Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 150 Black $45
Pump: Koolance PMP-500 12V $89
CPU: XSPC Raystorm CPU Block $59
VGA: XSPC 670 $99
Fittings: XSPC Compression 7/16 blk x9 $40.50
Tube: PrimoChill Black tube 7/16ID 5/8OD x5 $45
Lighting: BitFenix Alchemy Connect 30CM White LED Strip $25

PrimoChill Antimicrobial tube coil silver - $6.50
Price: $499 All prices from pccasegear.com.au

Plan Picture:

Radiators:Green
Waterblocks:Red
Tubing:Black
Fittings:Gold
Pump & Res: Light blue and Dark Blue
So are there any problems with my plan? Please let me know.
Thanks

More about : full water cooling loop nzxt phantom 410

a c 177 K Overclocking
February 9, 2013 5:09:48 AM

You can drop the coolant, the $3 distilled water that's available in your nearest Woolworths will do the same job.

Might want to consider getting more rad space, 240+140mm for a CPU and two GPU's is cutting it a bit fine IMO.
You replace the 140mm with a 240mm rad (which is cheaper than the 140mm).
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...
Then using the mounting standoffs that come with the kit, hang that outside the case off the back 120/140mm mount.
You may need to drill some holes above the fan mount on the case to route tubing, as the grommets on the back of the case dont look at that well placed.

Otherwise the build looks good to me.

EDIT: Forgot an anti-bacterial solution. Common options are a Silver Kill-Coil or a Biocide. I recommend you go with the kill coil as its a more permanent solution, while the Biocide has to be re-applied.
Kill-Coil.
Biocide
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
February 9, 2013 7:38:56 AM

Looking fine from here too, but be sure to update us as it progresses then we can guide you with more precision :) 
@Chalk, you're shaping up well man, your recent posts are very close to my own advice and because you're in Oz, you are often beating me to threads hehe
Moto
m
l
Related resources
a c 177 K Overclocking
February 9, 2013 7:47:04 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
@Chalk, you're shaping up well man, your recent posts are very close to my own advice and because you're in Oz, you are often beating me to threads hehe
Moto

Positive reinforcement that my "slide into insanity" is accelerating.
Oh goodie :p 

Though pump stuff still eludes me, just cant understand pressure, flow rates, calculating resistance and the like.
Though I wonder if its even necessary, as long as you'v got something that isn't pathetic and haven't got pin-holes for barbs, chances are it will do fine.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
February 9, 2013 8:03:36 AM

Thats the way I look at it, high flowrate numbers mean very little if the pump can't push it through consistantly,
some of the info posted isn't really necessary imo, its like trading card stats for geeks :p 
I go by flowrate and head rating myself, minimal but important numbers, I'm simpleminded that way lol, 'I need a 750Lpm pump with 2M head rating'
/Googles pumps, finds one that fits reqs and clicks buy :p 
like you say, you scout around and find what everyone else uses and go with the mass opinion, you'll find plenty of bad reports on crap stuff to help keep you away from it, but if a pump has one bad review where most everyone else loves it, chances are its a good pump
Moto
m
l
February 9, 2013 8:26:06 AM

Alright cool just have three questions,
1) Is it possible to mount the radiator so that half is above the case so I could use the premade grommets?
2) If not as I haven't modded a case before what do you think would be the best way to do it?
3) Do you think the XSPC Vario D5 pump/resevoir is going to be enough for the system?
Thanks for your quick replies.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
February 9, 2013 8:34:07 AM

Mount it on the rear and use the grommets? Yes, anything is possible with the right bracketing solution :) 
By discussing the idea with us and letting us come up with a solution or two, you know your skills/tool access and ability, we don't :) 
D5's are great pumps and will handle a Cpu, 2xGpu's and a couple of rads
Moto
m
l
a c 177 K Overclocking
February 9, 2013 8:35:31 AM

1. Yep, though would look somewhat ridiculous having half of your rad poking up from the case.

2. In truth I have not modded anything before (will soon though) so I cant really answer that question from experience.
But what I think would be best is too get a drill with a hole saw attachment, use that to cut the holes in the case and a hand file to smooth the hole edges. Then use duct tape to "pad" the edges of the hole, if you can pick up rubber grommets of the right size from Bunnings it would be perfect, but duct tape would do.

3. Actually checked the kit you were getting to see if it was a D5 or X20 750 pump, because I could imagine issues with the latter. I think a D5 Vario will be fine for the loop.
Though that probably doesn't mean much from someone who admitted he doesn't know pumps just above :lol: .
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
February 9, 2013 8:47:53 AM

**Yep, though would look somewhat ridiculous having half of your rad poking up from the case** Aesthetics are personal man, he may like the look :p  and exploring other options like top mounts ofc :) 
X20 750 pumps are fine but the D5 has better head rating and is variable for tweaking
Theres lots of modding tutorials on the net but the best approach is checking out the W/c and homebuild galleries and see what others have done for ideas, then discuss with folks who mod to see how it can be achieved,
Moto
m
l
February 9, 2013 9:22:34 AM

So after looking around the case I think the best solution would be to mount it half upwards because it looks like it might interfere with the cables in my graphics card, also because the case has such a high top I don't think it would look too out of place.
I did a new quick planwith an external rad, is this good? http://i.imgur.com/FDZwRMo.jpg
m
l
a c 177 K Overclocking
February 9, 2013 9:36:42 AM

You'v got crossing tubes, don't look that good.
I would go.
Pump/Res -> Top rad-> CPU-> External Rad -> GPU -> Pump/Res

That being said there would be no performance difference either way.
m
l
February 9, 2013 9:41:12 PM

Ok so I updated my plan again to what you suggested http://imgur.com/O562kyj . Got some more questions. What do you guys think of after market thermal paste should I get some or use the stuff that comes from XSPC. Also Currently I have two 140MM NZXT stock fans and two 120MM NZXT stock fans should I use these and or the ones from XSPC or should I go aftermarket. Lastly for mounting my external radiator could I use the mounts that come from XSPC or will I need to buy different ones.
Thanks
m
l
a c 177 K Overclocking
February 9, 2013 9:56:10 PM

The difference between the best and worst thermal pastes is 2c at most, how you mount the block and your application of the paste is the bigger factor to performance.

I just use whatever paste comes with my cooler TBH, doesn't make much sense to me to go buy $10 thermal paste for a $60 block that comes with adequate paste.
That being said, if you want it anyway, Arctic Silver 5 and Artic Cooling MX-4 are the most commonly recommended and widely available pastes.

The XSPC Xinrullian 1650's that come with the kit are actually fairly good radiator fans, especially considering that they are $6 each (cheapest 120mm's on PC Case Gear) if you buy them aftermarket. I just bought 3 more for the triple rad I'l be mounting soon.
I know Moto has given them a good recommendation somewhere else in the forum.

Well, I hope the mounts that comes with the kit is sufficient, I plan to use it for exactly that in a few days time :lol: .
Far as I can tell it will be fine, but may want to wait a few days and keep an eye on my build-log (in the sig) for the guinea pig (me) to have a crack at it first :D .
m
l
February 9, 2013 11:41:36 PM

LOL! thanks for posting all this! i was just about to ask questions about this same case and liquid cooling but you guys did it all. I just have one question if you all dont mind. I am about to upgrade to a GTX 680 and i was wondering if I should get two GTX 680's or ditch one and build a liquid cooler like vanquish is doing.
Thanks!!!
here is an image of how i would do the cooler btw

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
m
l
a c 177 K Overclocking
February 9, 2013 11:51:09 PM

Well... do you want/need the extra performance of a 2nd card or the advantages water more?
We cant really answer that for you.

Whats your monitor setup? Because if you gaming on a single 1080p screen, then I would say that its not worth getting an extra card.
m
l
February 9, 2013 11:59:24 PM

im in the process of getting 3 monitors. the idea of building water cooling sounds really cool tho! i really am not sure how much of a performance decrease i would see with only one compared to SLI. I might actually get 2 670's instead and that way im only spending like an extra $200 or $300
m
l
a c 177 K Overclocking
February 10, 2013 12:02:10 AM

You might want to start your own thread on this topic, wouldn't want this thread to derail and become something un-related to the OP's interests.
m
l
February 24, 2013 5:05:01 AM

I have been rethinking my watercooling plan and want to include a fan controller because the stock one on my phantom is pretty bad. However I only have 3 5.25 bays which isn't enough for my DVD drive, fan controller and D5 Pump/res. So is it reasonable to mount the D5 in my case (eg on top of my HDD cage) or do I need a different solution. I am planning to watercool in about a month so I want to get everything finalised.
m
l
a c 177 K Overclocking
February 24, 2013 5:12:24 AM

Have you bought everything yet?

Because if not, then you can just drop the kit, get equivalent parts with a dedicated pump and reservoir.

Or go ahead with the kit and get a D5 top/res, just take the D5 out of the included res, and stick it in this one you can mount somewhere internally.
m
l
February 24, 2013 5:17:30 AM

No I haven't bought everything yet so I will drop the kit, do you have a recommended pump/res?
m
l
a c 177 K Overclocking
February 24, 2013 5:23:02 AM

From my experience with the X20 750L V2, I wouldnt go for a pump/res combo. Makes filling and bleeding difficult and if its mounted in the 5.25" bays, near impossible to stop from vibrating and making noise. I advise getting a separate pump and reservoir.

A pump that I am looking at personally is the Koolance PMP-500.
Reservoir would be the Swiftech MicroRes V2, but its not available at PCCG, but is through some other Melbourne retailers.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, but the mounting brackets that come with the XSPC kit worked and I got the rad mounted off the back. Their a bit finicky to work with, but once everything's screwed in it works just fine.
m
l
March 8, 2013 9:20:41 AM

Pretty cute stuff you guys got going on :D 

Here's a sneak peak of my build with my phantom 410.

Spoiler

m
l
March 8, 2013 3:30:34 PM

Looks interesting - if you start your own thread I'm sure some people here can help you plan your component placement to avoid issues like the one it looks like you have with the fittings on the rads.
m
l
March 9, 2013 4:50:35 AM

I have a way around that, my rad has 6 different options for fittings so i should be ok :D 
m
l
April 14, 2013 8:41:01 PM

Hi all,
It has been a while since I last posted to this thread and am ready to finalize my watercooling. I have updated the plan to reflect the new build list and have also ditched getting another 670. If someone could please have another look I would be really appreciative.
Thanks
m
l
a c 177 K Overclocking
April 14, 2013 9:03:07 PM

The loop looks fine to me, your good to go as far as I can tell.
Only thing is the XSPC Compressions, they don't have an OD size. You will want to make sure they will work with your tubing, otherwise you'l have $40 worth of fittings that you cant use.

Just a few comments and questions.
Any plans on how to drain the loop?
May want to also consider some 90° adapters, particularly for the external rad.
How do you plan to mount the rad to the outside of the case?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 14, 2013 9:08:06 PM

with that hardware I know this my sound a little weird but loop the hardware in a parallel configuration what I mean is link the two rads in parallel with each other and have the CPU in parallel with the video card

I do not know if this helps but this is the idea I had anyway

my build log

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274855-29-experimenta...
m
l
a c 177 K Overclocking
April 14, 2013 9:20:14 PM

I can understand the rads in parallel (halve the flow rate within them, water has longer to cool down. Halve the resistance as well. Been interested in trying it myself), but not the CPU and GPU blocks.
I know we'v had this discussion before, but that was with two identical GPU blocks. I feel that a GPU and CPU block in parallel wouldn't go down so well, as they have differing amounts of restriction and because of that more water will flow through the less restrictive block (The CPU at a guess) than the other.

As well as significantly increasing the cost of fittings. A Y fitting Down Under is $19 a piece, plus $15 in compression's per Y piece.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 14, 2013 9:28:45 PM

well this is what I will be doing with my dad's build, the only difference is that I will have a monstra radiator in that one with is like having two thinner rads in parallel with each other. So we will see how it works one way or another regardless, but I know that it will work fine because of the restrictive nature of both the blocks in the system that he plans to use. Just like my dad's both blocks are highly restrictive because of the pin and grove matrix inside of them.
m
l
February 20, 2014 12:41:45 PM

vanquish96 said:
Hi all,
This will be my first time doing a custom watercooling setup and I have tried to do as much research as I can and I have a list and plan for my watercooling loop and I wanted to put it up here and see whether I was on the right track or not.
Important system specs:
NZXT Phantom 410
Intel 3570k
Gainward Reference GTX 670
Asus Sabertooth Z77 motherboard
Antec 620 Kuhler
Corsair AX-850
Picture of setup: http://i.imgur.com/SPMW4C3.jpg

Watercooling Plan:
Rad: XSPC EX240 x2 $90
Res:Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 150 Black $45
Pump: Koolance PMP-500 12V $89
CPU: XSPC Raystorm CPU Block $59
VGA: XSPC 670 $99
Fittings: XSPC Compression 7/16 blk x9 $40.50
Tube: PrimoChill Black tube 7/16ID 5/8OD x5 $45
Lighting: BitFenix Alchemy Connect 30CM White LED Strip $25

PrimoChill Antimicrobial tube coil silver - $6.50
Price: $499 All prices from pccasegear.com.au

Plan Picture:

Radiators:Green
Waterblocks:Red
Tubing:Black
Fittings:Gold
Pump & Res: Light blue and Dark Blue
So are there any problems with my plan? Please let me know.
Thanks

do you know if a 240mm rad will fit push pull config if you have a rad thats roughly 30mm thick and fans that are 25mm think on top of the case but within the plastic trim?
m
l
!