Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is an SSD drive worth the money?

Last response: in Storage
April 28, 2012 1:48:05 PM

Hi there :hello:  I was reading up on some articles and i saw that SSD's work a LOT better than normal HD's, but it's more expenisive. Also i read that they are more prone to crashing (Something that happens often with me) so i don't know if it will be worth the risk, plus i read that if it crashes it's impossible to get the data back. I would like to buy one to use as my main HD, just for the OS and programs, possibly a 128GB one and a 1TB HD for external storage, but this is where more problems come in. If i use a normal HD with an SDD will it work slower? Or will it still boot/process data fast?

More about : ssd drive worth money

Best solution

a c 124 G Storage
April 29, 2012 1:45:11 AM

The setup that you describe will work fine! The SSD will boot the OS as well as the programs fast, and the HDD will work fine for data storage. In fact this is how most people deploy their SSD and HDD.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 29, 2012 1:58:51 AM

the reliability of SSDs have improved greatly in a short amount of time. if you are looking at purchasing one take a look at this article that will answer a few other questions for you.
Best SSDs For The Money: April 2012
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-storage-value,3...
EDIT:
yeah what Ubrales said :) 
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
April 29, 2012 2:26:27 AM

The question "Is an SSD drive worth the money?" is one which only you can answer, is spending the extra money on a computer to make it more responsive worth while in your opinion. I would consider it worthwhile, to spend the money to make the computer more responsive, but it wont change the capabilities or enable the computer to do more things. It all depends on how you value your user experience of your computer against the stat of your bank balance. A ssd drive is a luxury you don't need it but it would be nice to have.
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
April 29, 2012 2:51:12 AM

Most people that have a SSD for OS + Programs state - Will not go back to a HDD.

.. I have 7 SSDs in 4 systems ( two desktops and two laptops), I have not had a single one require the OS to be reloaded. More important is that even if I had one crash and had to reinstall win7 - It is ONLY a 10 Min procedure. You go to control panel, select back up, then create a image of your SSD. Should you ever need to reinstall windows:
..1) pop in either the Restore disk (windows will prompt you to do after image is done), or just stick a window install disk in.
..2) select repair, restore from Image, tell windows where you put the image (broose).
..3) 10 Min. latter you boot into windows, with ALL drivers there, with ALL programs there.
It's like walla-bang-done, thank You XXX!

And your last question, will one slow the the other down - No they both will perform at the speed that they are suppose to, they work independent of each other - except when you do a copy from one to the other. and that will be at the speed of the slowest device - The HDD (BUT would be faster than a HDD -> HDD transfer.
m
l
April 29, 2012 6:49:18 AM

I think they're a waste of money honestly. I'd recommend buying a 2TB Black and short stroking 50-100GB partition for OS/programs. I went from an Intel 320 to the Black and could barely tell a difference. Some bloated programs load a couple seconds slower but even with SSD they're not instant so who cares.
m
l
April 29, 2012 7:07:15 AM

Instead of buying new computer, it's more effecient to just buy SSD.It will be much snappier.
m
l
a b G Storage
April 29, 2012 7:15:04 AM

synce said:
I think they're a waste of money honestly. I'd recommend buying a 2TB Black and short stroking 50-100GB partition for OS/programs. I went from an Intel 320 to the Black and could barely tell a difference. Some bloated programs load a couple seconds slower but even with SSD they're not instant so who cares.

yeah cause you choose a slow drive. it has max write speeds of 90 mb/s and 270 mb/s. so your ssd was slower at righting and barely faster at reading then a HDD. no wonder you say you couldnt tell a difference. there was barely one.
m
l
a b G Storage
April 29, 2012 7:15:43 AM

It can be worth it. I was in a thread yesterday that I didn't understand. The guy was building a $400 gaming machine, and had an 60GB SSD in there. To do so he was using a very low end celeron CPU and a 5770. I'm sorry, but if this is for gaming you want at least a 2100 or other such CPU and while the 5770 is good I'd argue the 6850 would be better. Get an SSD, but not at the expense of the rest of your system.
m
l
May 10, 2012 3:52:09 PM

If it just makes programs faster it isn't worth the money imo... I have patience and i install LOTS of programs that i don't uninstall, mostly games, and i once filled up over 300GB in programs alone.

@RetiredChief Wow that's a lot of money cashed out... But your post makes me feel more comfertable to buy a SSD, knowing that it won't crash.

@KonstantinDK I'm buying a new computer for gaming, this system heats up...

@4745454b I'd love to get a new videocard but i'll have to sell my current one,a nd unfortunately people here where i live don't buy computer parts for gaming, they buy ps3's and x360's

I'll just buy a 750GB HDD for my main and a 1TB for my secondary. Mabye in the future i may buy one but as pjmelect said, it's a luxury that i can live without. Thanks for all the replies guys! Each one helped me, plus i learnt a few things :) 
m
l
May 10, 2012 3:52:33 PM

Best answer selected by gabrielorie.
m
l
a c 124 G Storage
May 10, 2012 8:07:04 PM

Thank you!
m
l
!