Sign in with
Your question

Asus P7P55D-E LX vs Gigabyte H55M-USB3

Last response: in Motherboards
December 1, 2010 3:13:58 AM

Hi, I'm currently building a value-based Core i5-760 rig. Initially I wanted the P7P55D-E Pro, but have no budget for it.

I settled for the P7P55D-E LX, which made sense, since I had no intention of CrossFire/SLI anyway, so had no need for a more expensive board. All I'm looking for is a decent board that overclocks well. Since the P7P55D-E LX was used in Tom's $1000 SBM build, I reckoned it was a decent board that overclocked well. It retails for about $150 where I'm at.

However, before I set off buying, a new idea popped into my head. Why not go for H55 instead? H55 boards are about $40 cheaper here.
Specifically I'm looking at the Gigabyte H55M-USB3. Read reviews about it and despite being mATX, it was actually a very good overclocker.

It's retailing at $115 right now, so I'll be saving ~$35 if ever.

So from what I've gathered, these two boards are both cheap (one is significantly cheaper and the price I save can get me a better video card), have USB3/SATA 6gbps, and are good overclockers. I only aim to overclock to about 3.7-4.0 GHz, not really intending to push to extreme limits, so I don't need an Asus Maximus-level board.

And this brings me to the question, which one?
Also, in general, what is better value, a low-end P55 (P7P55D-E LX) or a mid/high-end H55 (H55M-USB3)?
December 1, 2010 2:37:01 PM

One more thing, the Gigabyte doesn't have mosfet cooling, but has been tested to overclock quite high (4.5 GHz with i3-540) and still pass stress tests stably.

So this brings me to the question, how important is mosfet cooling? Is it just a gimmick? I mean, if you aren't overclocking at full potential (say, 3.8 GHz on a Core i5-760) and it passes stress tests, isnt that enough? :) 
December 4, 2010 5:03:53 PM

No one? :( 
!