Asus P7P55D-E LX vs Gigabyte H55M-USB3

Hi, I'm currently building a value-based Core i5-760 rig. Initially I wanted the P7P55D-E Pro, but have no budget for it.

I settled for the P7P55D-E LX, which made sense, since I had no intention of CrossFire/SLI anyway, so had no need for a more expensive board. All I'm looking for is a decent board that overclocks well. Since the P7P55D-E LX was used in Tom's $1000 SBM build, I reckoned it was a decent board that overclocked well. It retails for about $150 where I'm at.

However, before I set off buying, a new idea popped into my head. Why not go for H55 instead? H55 boards are about $40 cheaper here.
Specifically I'm looking at the Gigabyte H55M-USB3. Read reviews about it and despite being mATX, it was actually a very good overclocker.

It's retailing at $115 right now, so I'll be saving ~$35 if ever.

So from what I've gathered, these two boards are both cheap (one is significantly cheaper and the price I save can get me a better video card), have USB3/SATA 6gbps, and are good overclockers. I only aim to overclock to about 3.7-4.0 GHz, not really intending to push to extreme limits, so I don't need an Asus Maximus-level board.

And this brings me to the question, which one?
Also, in general, what is better value, a low-end P55 (P7P55D-E LX) or a mid/high-end H55 (H55M-USB3)?
2 answers Last reply
More about asus p7p55d gigabyte h55m usb3
  1. One more thing, the Gigabyte doesn't have mosfet cooling, but has been tested to overclock quite high (4.5 GHz with i3-540) and still pass stress tests stably.

So this brings me to the question, how important is mosfet cooling? Is it just a gimmick? I mean, if you aren't overclocking at full potential (say, 3.8 GHz on a Core i5-760) and it passes stress tests, isnt that enough? :)
  2. No one? :(
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards USB3