Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

T3 Exiting prematurely ?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 11:53:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

For some reason T3 is exiting early and I dont know why.

P4/3.4 Intel, Win2k, 1gig ddr400 ram, ati all in wonder radeon 9600.
On board lan, sound, usb stuff.

Kind of disapointed. I just got through using the oil in the docks
and was watching the enforcer slowly sliding into the water. HA !

Then poof. I was back at the desk top.

I have minimal programs running. Firewall and something that watches
for low ink levels for the prineter and some program that tells me
my flat bed scanner software is not installed yet.

On the scanner software. I will put that in when I am ready to make
use of it I figure.

Oh in theif 3. I think I only have Three saved levels. I had 20 or more
but when it did the premature exit I thought well lets restart the
game level wise brand new and so I deleted all the saved games using
the windows explorer program. My Computer to some of you out there.

I think the only cheat stuff I have going is that one file where
it allows you to buy almost everything in the stores for One coin
of the realm except for Gloves and Fire Arrows, those stayed the
same cost.

The level I am playing at is Normal.

Oh... I do have to load up screens turned off with some kind of
program I found ont he web.

Geneve


--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"

More about : exiting prematurely

October 28, 2004 1:23:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

Try end tasking all of those background programs (except the firewall)
and then running Thief3. If it still crashes back to the desktop,
which is really what it's doing, then disconnect yourself from the
network/cable/dsl/etc. and end task on the firewall as well, just to
eliminate it as a possibility.

The next step would be to make sure you're running the 1.1 update for
the game and that you have installed all of the *latest* drivers for
everything (chipset on motherboard, video, audio, Windows updates, SP2
(assuming XP), etc.). Then clear out all your temp files, etc.
(Window Washer is nice for this...), run defrag, reboot and try again.

Odds are pretty good in your favor that one of the above mentioned
items is the cause.

Wil


On 27 Oct 2004 19:53:09 -0700, Geneve <a@n.com> wrote:

>
>For some reason T3 is exiting early and I dont know why.
>
> P4/3.4 Intel, Win2k, 1gig ddr400 ram, ati all in wonder radeon 9600.
> On board lan, sound, usb stuff.
>
>Kind of disapointed. I just got through using the oil in the docks
>and was watching the enforcer slowly sliding into the water. HA !
>
>Then poof. I was back at the desk top.
>
>I have minimal programs running. Firewall and something that watches
>for low ink levels for the prineter and some program that tells me
>my flat bed scanner software is not installed yet.
>
>On the scanner software. I will put that in when I am ready to make
>use of it I figure.
>
>Oh in theif 3. I think I only have Three saved levels. I had 20 or more
>but when it did the premature exit I thought well lets restart the
>game level wise brand new and so I deleted all the saved games using
>the windows explorer program. My Computer to some of you out there.
>
>I think the only cheat stuff I have going is that one file where
>it allows you to buy almost everything in the stores for One coin
>of the realm except for Gloves and Fire Arrows, those stayed the
>same cost.
>
>The level I am playing at is Normal.
>
>Oh... I do have to load up screens turned off with some kind of
>program I found ont he web.
>
>Geneve
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 11:37:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

Truck <noemail@thisho.use> wrote in
news:lcs1o0557k3po92jl1avnj26obldvkro27@4ax.com:

> Try end tasking all of those background programs (except the firewall)
> and then running Thief3. If it still crashes back to the desktop,
> which is really what it's doing, then disconnect yourself from the
> network/cable/dsl/etc. and end task on the firewall as well, just to
> eliminate it as a possibility.

The reset steps I took were to view the task manager and in the first tab
it was empty for our conversation here.


In the Processes tab there was more running of course

so I will list what I see in the right hand corner here by the

clock.

(1) Zone Alarm (registered not a web hack)
(2) Epson monitoring ink levels program
(3) Sound Max control panel
(4) "unplug or eject hardware" thingy telling me my flat bed
scanner software is not yet installed. This is true though.
(5) ATI All In Wonder options thing. Its red/white in color here.
"ati2evxx.exe" (two of these are running, I have one monitor not two)
"atiptaxx.exe" and a "atirw.exe" I think that might be all for the
ati all in wonder exe's in the Processes tab listing.

I am in Win2k pro here.

The other night I also took the time to delete cookies, uneeded backup
files. Misc junk files like the browser temp files and what have you.

I think defragged the drive to make sure that one was looked in to.



> The next step would be to make sure you're running the 1.1 update for

Yes the 1.1 update is running the game so to speak.


> the game and that you have installed all of the *latest* drivers for
> everything (chipset on motherboard, video, audio, Windows updates, SP2
> (assuming XP), etc.). Then clear out all your temp files, etc.
> (Window Washer is nice for this...), run defrag, reboot and try again.
>
> Odds are pretty good in your favor that one of the above mentioned
> items is the cause.
>
> Wil


Tonight I played for an hour or so and it did boot me once.

At the time I was abusing the oil flasks. I was using them as
fast as the game would let me use the letter "I" to keep a oil
pudding fully gooey looking in the docks.

Sometimes that's is when I see it exiting is when I am using the

items as fast as I can.

Oil flasks and noise arrow combinations is what's going on at the time.



Geneve
October 29, 2004 3:41:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

Given that you've tried ending all those background running programs,
including ZoneAlarm, then a `guess' would be that there is something
just getting overwhelmed in the program and it isn't able to keep up
with the oil `demands'. Maybe time for a 1.2 release?

Wil


>On 29 Oct 2004 07:37:04 GMT, Geneve <askme@notforit.com> wrote:
>Tonight I played for an hour or so and it did boot me once.
>
>At the time I was abusing the oil flasks. I was using them as
>fast as the game would let me use the letter "I" to keep a oil
>pudding fully gooey looking in the docks.
>
>Sometimes that's is when I see it exiting is when I am using the
>
>items as fast as I can.
>
>Oil flasks and noise arrow combinations is what's going on at the time.
>
>
>
>Geneve
>
October 30, 2004 4:43:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

Could also be a hardware problem. Is your system able to run 3DMark through
several loops?

Mike
Anonymous
October 30, 2004 10:38:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

Geneve wrote:
> For some reason T3 is exiting early and I dont know why.

Not very likely ... but is there any kind of log message
in the system/application/security log that could be traced
to the incident?

See Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Event Viewer

--
Anders Thulin ath*algonet.se http://www.algonet.se/~ath
Anonymous
October 31, 2004 6:41:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

try disabling EAX on the sound, if you've got it on.
as it maybe your on board sound, as its not supported by the unreal engine
used in thief 3.


"Geneve" <a@n.com> wrote in message news:clpmul014ld@drn.newsguy.com...
>
> For some reason T3 is exiting early and I dont know why.
>
> P4/3.4 Intel, Win2k, 1gig ddr400 ram, ati all in wonder radeon 9600.
> On board lan, sound, usb stuff.
>
> Kind of disapointed. I just got through using the oil in the docks
> and was watching the enforcer slowly sliding into the water. HA !
>
> Then poof. I was back at the desk top.
>
> I have minimal programs running. Firewall and something that watches
> for low ink levels for the prineter and some program that tells me
> my flat bed scanner software is not installed yet.
>
> On the scanner software. I will put that in when I am ready to make
> use of it I figure.
>
> Oh in theif 3. I think I only have Three saved levels. I had 20 or more
> but when it did the premature exit I thought well lets restart the
> game level wise brand new and so I deleted all the saved games using
> the windows explorer program. My Computer to some of you out there.
>
> I think the only cheat stuff I have going is that one file where
> it allows you to buy almost everything in the stores for One coin
> of the realm except for Gloves and Fire Arrows, those stayed the
> same cost.
>
> The level I am playing at is Normal.
>
> Oh... I do have to load up screens turned off with some kind of
> program I found ont he web.
>
> Geneve
>
>
> --
> "If confused why this or that is going on."
> "I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"
!