better than Canon's ZoomBrowser EX??

I purchased a Canon Powershot A80 a while back and have had a good
experience with it. I've downloaded pictures to my computer running Windows
ME with Canon's ZoomBrowser EX software and everything was fine.

Then I purchased a new Dell running Windows XP, and now I got problems. The
pics downloaded with ZoomBrowser EX now look waaaay off. I uninstalled it
and installed it again--same thing.

Is there another program that would perform better?
5 answers Last reply
More about better canon zoombrowser

    "Mike" <iamglad@nospam.worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > I purchased a Canon Powershot A80 a while back and have had a good
    > experience with it. I've downloaded pictures to my computer running
    Windows
    > ME with Canon's ZoomBrowser EX software and everything was fine.
    >
    > Then I purchased a new Dell running Windows XP, and now I got problems.
    The
    > pics downloaded with ZoomBrowser EX now look waaaay off. I uninstalled it
    > and installed it again--same thing.
    >
    > Is there another program that would perform better?

    You may need to check color profiles on your new system.
    New monitor?
    New video card?
    New operating system?
    Each of these will handle color differently.
    Tons of variables to look at.
    There's nothing likely "wrong" with your Dell...you'll just have to learn a
    bit about what your system is doing with color, and what you need to profile
    or adjust.

    Mike wrote:
    > I purchased a Canon Powershot A80 a while back and have had a good
    > experience with it. I've downloaded pictures to my computer running Windows
    > ME with Canon's ZoomBrowser EX software and everything was fine.
    >
    > Then I purchased a new Dell running Windows XP, and now I got problems. The
    > pics downloaded with ZoomBrowser EX now look waaaay off. I uninstalled it
    > and installed it again--same thing.
    >
    > Is there another program that would perform better?

    How do images look with other software?

    Are you using a Dell monitor? Is it an LCD one?

    Aerticeus

    "Mike" <iamglad@nospam.worldnet.att.net> writes:
    > I purchased a Canon Powershot A80 a while back and have had a good
    > experience with it. I've downloaded pictures to my computer running
    > Windows ME with Canon's ZoomBrowser EX software and everything was
    > fine.
    >
    > Then I purchased a new Dell running Windows XP, and now I got
    > problems. The pics downloaded with ZoomBrowser EX now look waaaay
    > off. I uninstalled it and installed it again--same thing.
    >
    > Is there another program that would perform better?

    What do you mean by "waaaay off"? Are the images unsharp, wrong
    colour, too dark, too light, too dull - or what?

    The Zoombrowser EX just display the images the way your camera
    captures them (it has some simple controls for image adjustment,
    and even RAW conversion, but its default behaviour is to leave
    the images alone).

    My guess, from what little information you've given us, is that
    the problem is with your new monitor. You may need to calibrate
    it - or adjust it.
    When you say you live in the real world, which one are you referring to?

    The new monitor is indeed a Dell monitor. It's a 17" E173 Flat Panel
    Display and it seems exceptionally sharp in all other applications.

    The new pics downloaded from my Canon with ZoomBrowser EX to my new computer
    are just not the quality I've come to expect. They seem to have lost that
    real sharp, almost 3D look. And many have this odd white highlight look
    that appears in people's dark hair and face. It's hard to explain.

    It does appear to be ZoomBrowser specific though. When I look at the same
    pictures via PaintShop Pro 8 they seem fine again.

    They also seem fine when viewing through the camera display before
    downloading.

    I'm by no means an expert at this stuff and it's possible I could just have
    a setting off somewhere. I still wouldn't mind trying a more recent version
    of ZoomBrowser EX though. I wonder if I could download it off the
    internet??

    "Gisle Hannemyr" <gisle+njus@ifi.uio.no> wrote in message
> [...]

    >> and even RAW conversion, but its default behaviour is to leave
    >> the images alone).
    >>
    >> My guess, from what little information you've given us, is that
    >> the problem is with your new monitor. You may need to calibrate
    >> it - or adjust it.

    > The new monitor is indeed a Dell monitor. It's a 17" E173 Flat
    > Panel Display and it seems exceptionally sharp in all other
    > applications.
    >
    > The new pics downloaded from my Canon with ZoomBrowser EX to my new
    > computer are just not the quality I've come to expect. They seem to
    > have lost that real sharp, almost 3D look. And many have this odd
    > white highlight look that appears in people's dark hair and face.
    > It's hard to explain.
    >
    > It does appear to be ZoomBrowser specific though. When I look at
    > the same pictures via PaintShop Pro 8 they seem fine again.

    Strange. Some of what you see (like the "odd highlight") may be
    caused by you moving from a CRT to a LCD flat panel display - but then
    you say that you like the "look" in PSP on the same display - so that
    sort off rules out the display as the cause.

    I've used Zoombrowser EX for a long time, on both CRTs and LCDs (my
    current setup is a Dell 2000FP and ZB EX ver. 5), and I've never had
    any problem with the way Zoombrowser EX show images.

    > They also seem fine when viewing through the camera display before
    > downloading.
    >
    > I'm by no means an expert at this stuff and it's possible I could
    > just have a setting off somewhere. I still wouldn't mind trying a
    > more recent version of ZoomBrowser EX though. I wonder if I could
    > download it off the internet??

    You can download it. It's in the download area on the Canonusa web
    site. Just select your camera from the menus and proceed to
    "drivers". It is huge tho' - a 37 Mbyte download. Also, it refuses
    to install unless it finds a previous version on your computer. (You
    obviously have one - I just mention this in case someone else sees
    this - it is no fun to download 37 Megs just to discover it won't
    install.)
    When you say you live in the real world, which one are you referring to?

Photo Canon Cameras