Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Is this 80mm fan the best cfm to dba ratio

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
February 9, 2013 6:25:11 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... only issue is its going to be a little loud I bet considering my highest dba fan is 28 as of now and is there specs correct hard to believe considering I've never seen any 50c fans at under 39dba any suggestions would be much appreciated btw this is for the front intake fan

More about : 80mm fan cfm dba ratio

a c 175 K Overclocking
February 9, 2013 8:19:17 AM

39dBa is very loud, why would you pick this fan?
Sound doesnt work on a linear scale like distance or volume, its logarithmic. Generally speaking, every 10dBa is a doubling of perceived sound.

If you have the option too, I advise picking a larger fan.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2013 10:21:06 AM

39db is loud you should go with 30cfm fans at 20db and less they are better sound/performance ratio in my opinion
one fan i know of but you'll have to find someone to ship to you is Silverstone FM82B its like 70cfm but 40db http://www.scan.co.uk/products/80mm-silverstone-fm82b-q...
m
0
l
Related resources
February 9, 2013 2:48:19 PM

kiezz said:
39db is loud you should go with 30cfm fans at 20db and less they are better sound/performance ratio in my opinion
one fan i know of but you'll have to find someone to ship to you is Silverstone FM82B its like 70cfm but 40db http://www.scan.co.uk/products/80mm-silverstone-fm82b-q...


If I can one in the us maybe eBay will.have one. At least I could control it 1800rpm on idle and 3800 rpm while gaming. Is there any fans at 30dba at 50cfm fans or anything close that would be my ideal compromise
m
0
l
February 9, 2013 2:52:45 PM

manofchalk said:
39dBa is very loud, why would you pick this fan?
Sound doesnt work on a linear scale like distance or volume, its logarithmic. Generally speaking, every 10dBa is a doubling of perceived sound.

If you have the option too, I advise picking a larger fan.


Yeah larger fan.isn't going to work bummer probably.can't even mod for more room kind off a crappy case layout any decent compromise how about a 30dba fan that will push lots of air
m
0
l
a c 231 K Overclocking
February 9, 2013 3:46:11 PM

80mm fans are really old school, and normally any cases that were designed to use 80mm fans are no where near the cooling airflow needed for CPUs today.

Any case can be modded, if you have those capabilities, you can add a blow hole to the top over the 5 1/2" drive bay, just don't put a optical drive in the top slot or mount the fan on the top of the case, or add a side fan.

The 80mm you picked is loud, but is a squeaky timid mouse compared to the 80mm x 38mm Delta I have, which at full speed sounds like a jet on the runway waiting for take off clearance.

Anyway check out the Cooling Fan Roundup in my sig, there are no 80mm fans in it but a lot of information you may find useful.
m
0
l
February 10, 2013 4:44:32 AM

4Ryan6 said:
80mm fans are really old school, and normally any cases that were designed to use 80mm fans are no where near the cooling airflow needed for CPUs today.

Any case can be modded, if you have those capabilities, you can add a blow hole to the top over the 5 1/2" drive bay, just don't put a optical drive in the top slot or mount the fan on the top of the case, or add a side fan.

The 80mm you picked is loud, but is a squeaky timid mouse compared to the 80mm x 38mm Delta I have, which at full speed sounds like a jet on the runway waiting for take off clearance.

Anyway check out the Cooling Fan Roundup in my sig, there are no 80mm fans in it but a lot of information you may find useful.


Cool idea about the 5 1/2 bay but I would hate to ruin the look of the case by cutting out a hole for a fan there since this is my gaming living room pc. Can you recommend any 80mm fans that get close to 50cfm at 30dba. I like this case but oh boy its tough to work in first I has to get a special 20mm wide fan cause the 25mm I bought was hitting the gpu so I couldbt shut the side panel lol then I decided to use that fan that didn't fit on side as my top exhaust fan let's just say with the CPU cooler on there I thought I was literally going to have to break the fan to get it out but luckily elbow grease,and patience one out and lined up the fan connector thin hit it with the back of the screw driver since my man hands would reach it worked though. Sorry for ranting but man for being my first build I got to say tough case for noobs like me.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
February 10, 2013 12:50:45 PM

What case is it?
m
0
l
a c 231 K Overclocking
February 10, 2013 1:14:34 PM

peep1988 said:
Can you recommend any 80mm fans that get close to 50cfm at 30dba.


50cfm range for an 80mm cooling fan is way past 30dba, so here's my suggestion.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233083

36cfm @ 24dba 2200rpm $6.99 + Free Shipping I don't think you'll really find anything better, that you can stand to listen to.
m
0
l
February 10, 2013 5:59:05 PM

kiezz said:
What case is it?


Cm elite 361
m
0
l
February 10, 2013 9:40:19 PM

jerry6 said:
I use these , so far they are silent move lots of air , case is 4c cooler than when I ran the stock 80mm fans . Quality build with many adapters included .
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683599905...


Would this one be better http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 17db at 1300 rpm don't know how much air butwhile I'm gaming ill set it at 31 db at 3000rpm 47cfm not sure about quailry

Btw my loudest fan is at 28db which is fine since I won't hear while gaming so anything aroun 30ish should be fine I think
m
0
l
February 11, 2013 12:28:54 AM

lol a usb fan? Haha very interesting idea non the less
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
February 11, 2013 1:07:10 AM

replace the case, then you won't be forced to buy those 80's, if you get a new case then there will be lots of 120 and 140 fans for you. maybe even a 200.
m
0
l
February 11, 2013 1:25:39 AM

lhikary said:
lol a usb fan? Haha very interesting idea non the less


Wtf lol back to the drawing board
m
0
l
February 11, 2013 1:29:45 AM

Cons29 said:
replace the case, then you won't be forced to buy those 80's, if you get a new case then there will be lots of 120 and 140 fans for you. maybe even a 200.


Only reason I got this case is because of its small ish size since you can lay it flat it looks like a htpc if it was 3 inches taller. Btw case was 39.99 not bad didn't have 100 plus for a good htpc case you know what I mean though it was either get a I3 and a 7850 or get a Vetter htpc with a pentium and a 7770
m
0
l
February 11, 2013 7:28:54 AM

I'm googled out man guys what's the highest cfm 80mm fan at it around 30db
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
February 11, 2013 7:58:20 AM

is your cpu over heating that your so worried about amount of air getting in? its a nice looking case and at a good price too but the last thing you want is a real loud fan annoying you in it in my opinion I'd go for this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... it will provide enough air and not be an annoying sound
m
0
l
February 12, 2013 7:52:27 AM

kiezz said:
is your cpu over heating that your so worried about amount of air getting in? its a nice looking case and at a good price too but the last thing you want is a real loud fan annoying you in it in my opinion I'd go for this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... it will provide enough air and not be an annoying sound


Hi out of these two fans which is better http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

What's the difference between 2 ball and long life sleeve and the roswell is 3 bucks cheaper if that means anything btw ill control these fans so while I'm gaming ill crank them up and then run them at less than 20db at idle
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 231 K Overclocking
February 12, 2013 9:16:48 AM

peep1988 said:
ill control these fans so while I'm gaming ill crank them up and then run them at less than 20db at idle


If you'll be using a fan controller why mess around?

Go For It!

This bad boy can blow the wallpaper off your wall!

Dust won't be a problem, because it cannot hang on to the blades! :lol: 
Share
February 12, 2013 5:56:59 PM

4Ryan6 said:
If you'll be using a fan controller why mess around?

Go For It!

This bad boy can blow the wallpaper off your wall!

Dust won't be a problem, because it cannot hang on to the blades! :lol: 


Wow 42 bucks anything based in a budget lol just kidding but 42 damn
m
0
l
February 14, 2013 3:46:16 AM

Best answer selected by peep1988.
m
0
l
February 14, 2013 10:55:37 PM

A Sanyo Denki san ace is very good if you want TONS(I'm talking a couple hundred) CFM at somewhat quiet temperatures.

However I can't seem to find where to buy those.
m
0
l
!