Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking MSI 660 TF 2GD5/OC

Last response: in Overclocking
February 9, 2013 9:04:37 AM

Hey everyone so I bought this card a few days ago and I downloaded MSI Afterburner just to see how much more I could push this card too and I was only successfully able to get the core clock to 1103mhz(+70 on Afterburner) and the memory clock to 1602mhz(+200 on afterburner yet it only went up 100mhz total) by turning up the power limit to 119% and I didn't change the core voltage at all because when I did I just seemed to notice a decrease in performance for some reason.

I've tried to get the core clock higher but it just seemed to crash games even without artifacts, could this possibly be my limit for this card or should I technically be able to juice out a lot more?
February 9, 2013 9:35:45 AM

I think you've done quite well with overclocking that. I have the same card and have it overclocked to +44 core/+222 memory and i have to say i don't want to go higher because i want complete stability and no artifacts in any application. If you can do that with +70, then i'd say you're good. And although each individual card is a bit different, i wouldn't think there is much more headroom. Kepler is a difficult architecture to overclock, due to the boost clocks and stuff, and this card is already factory overclocked, so i wouldn't expect too much.

As for the core voltage, i believe these cards aren't really supposed to be voltage adjustable. Haven't tried it myself, and if you say it decreases performance, then i guess there is no point in it.

And the memory clocks are supposed to go up by only half, because Afterburner clocks the double base clock of 1502MHz for this card. The effective memory rate would actually be four times the base clock (6008MHz stock, 6408MHz with your overclock), so the actual overclock is double the frequency you put in Afterburner.

It's a nice card though. I bought mine in October and haven't really had any problems. Good luck to you in your endeavours.
m
l
February 10, 2013 5:03:24 AM

kolibakter said:
I think you've done quite well with overclocking that. I have the same card and have it overclocked to +44 core/+222 memory and i have to say i don't want to go higher because i want complete stability and no artifacts in any application. If you can do that with +70, then i'd say you're good. And although each individual card is a bit different, i wouldn't think there is much more headroom. Kepler is a difficult architecture to overclock, due to the boost clocks and stuff, and this card is already factory overclocked, so i wouldn't expect too much.

As for the core voltage, i believe these cards aren't really supposed to be voltage adjustable. Haven't tried it myself, and if you say it decreases performance, then i guess there is no point in it.

And the memory clocks are supposed to go up by only half, because Afterburner clocks the double base clock of 1502MHz for this card. The effective memory rate would actually be four times the base clock (6008MHz stock, 6408MHz with your overclock), so the actual overclock is double the frequency you put in Afterburner.

It's a nice card though. I bought mine in October and haven't really had any problems. Good luck to you in your endeavours.

turned out that 70 on the core clock was too much, It would run fine on some games but when I play batman arkham city on max settings after about 20 minutes I would crash to my desktop with the graphics driver and stopped responding error. what power limit % do you have yours at?
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
February 10, 2013 6:01:37 AM

no, you cant overclock gtx660 much without increasing voltage, which can only be done through a BIOS mod "Kepler Golden BIOS"

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?2840... < a must read for you

http://www.overclock.net/t/1330897/gtx-660-non-ti-owner... < this is another good read.

Voltage control in afterburner doesn't do anything, nor does it in any other OC software for these cards. Ram you should be able to get at least +300mhz. Try OC the ram as far as you can first. Then look at getting more out of the core.
m
l
!