Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Cannot turn on laptop properly?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 11, 2010 7:31:02 PM

The Stuff
Hi. My computer won't turn on; I was drawing [via tablet, digitally] on it, an i got a blue screen saying

"Driver_iqrl_not_less_or_equal".

The laptop tried to restart, but it never got to the splash screen. All it did was turn on, get a completely white screen, and slowly fade to black. You could see the remnants of what i was drawing still on it. After this, I ran a LCD test; the colors came out fine, however, now I cannot turn my computer on at all. It makes noises as if it was to turn on, but now the screen doesn't turn, it doesn't turn bright, nor does it get to the splash screen. It stays blank/black. The on button turns blue, like normal, as do the buttons next to it. I connected it to an external screen, but it says "out of range" this happened before the laptop broke, so I don't think that it makes a difference. I've never been able to project properly...

My question is, is this a video card problem? And if it is, do I have to get a new motherboard with it? I heard somewhere that the video card is connected to the motherboard. Or, is it something else?

Computer info
-Dell XPS M1530 Laptop
-Windows Vista Home Premium
-3GB Memory, 32 Bit
-Nvida video card [something along those lines]

More about : turn laptop properly

a b U Graphics card
March 11, 2010 11:19:22 PM

Try disconnecting the tablet, when you mean noise is it fan noise or a scratching sound?
m
0
l
March 11, 2010 11:24:33 PM

mister g said:
Try disconnecting the tablet, when you mean noise is it fan noise or a scratching sound?



i did the LCD test and all that w/o the tablet being connected; by noise, i mean fan, yeah.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 11, 2010 11:35:29 PM

Have you tried, Dell support, not that I'm rushing but blue screen shouldn't stop you from booting unless the original driver is causing problems. Do you have the Dell support CD? If yes pop it in and try to boot from it, if it can't even pass the BIOS screen something inside is loose or fried in my opinion.
m
0
l
March 11, 2010 11:46:54 PM

mister g said:
Have you tried, Dell support, not that I'm rushing but blue screen shouldn't stop you from booting unless the original driver is causing problems. Do you have the Dell support CD? If yes pop it in and try to boot from it, if it can't even pass the BIOS screen something inside is loose or fried in my opinion.



Tried Dell Support [the online live one] and they said its the motherboard/videocard. im just posting here to make sure....
i don't have that CD....
loose or fried, meaning.... leik it overheated?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 11, 2010 11:51:06 PM

No, if you treated the laptop right it should'nt have any overheating problems. Wait LCD test, did this from like boot or main menu from pressing F2?
m
0
l
March 12, 2010 12:27:57 AM

mister g said:
No, if you treated the laptop right it should'nt have any overheating problems. Wait LCD test, did this from like boot or main menu from pressing F2?


Here's how i get the LCD test on my laptop:
press+hold D, power on laptop
it immediately starts the LCD test. I can't see anything on the screen, so booting/main menus would be out of the question....

i haven't tried F2; are you asking if i pressed F2 during the splash screen? [the splash screen doesnt pop up at all]
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 12, 2010 12:31:44 AM

Try, if it's a boot problem nothing will show up and you'll have the same problem. In that case I'll start checking if my warrenty is still active and I can RMA it.
m
0
l
March 12, 2010 12:41:03 AM

mister g said:
Try, if it's a boot problem nothing will show up and you'll have the same problem. In that case I'll start checking if my warrenty is still active and I can RMA it.


uhm... i.... cannot get the splash screen... :sweat: 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 12, 2010 12:45:33 AM

when you mean splash screen, you mean the Dell logo right. Otherwise how comfortable are you with opening a laptop, unless your warrenty is still good.
m
0
l
March 12, 2010 1:00:59 AM

mister g said:
when you mean splash screen, you mean the Dell logo right. Otherwise how comfortable are you with opening a laptop, unless your warrenty is still good.



my warranty's dead, and... i've opened my laptop before [took out hard drive, memory sticks, ect, ect.]
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 12, 2010 1:04:23 AM

Did you plug in everything right, the RAM could be loose, or the hard drive not placed right. Either could be the problem. Though if you can run LCD test it might not be.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 12, 2010 1:05:46 AM

Back to the CD, did you lose it, it should be black for OS and blue for drivers. If it is a mobo or card problem then you are going to be in a world of hurt.
m
0
l
March 12, 2010 1:12:04 AM

mister g said:
Did you plug in everything right, the RAM could be loose, or the hard drive not placed right. Either could be the problem. Though if you can run LCD test it might not be.
Back to the CD, did you lose it, it should be black for OS and blue for drivers. If it is a mobo or card problem then you are going to be in a world of hurt.


I'm pretty sure i plugged everything back in nice and tight.
I have the OS and the driver CDs. i tried this [last summer, i believe] it didn't work out too well... i had to manually install the drivers; not looking forward to that. I'll double check on the RAM and the hardware now.

m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 12, 2010 1:21:08 AM

If you can try to, I know the splash screen isn't working but press and hold F2 or 12 to boot from the OS cd. Dell usually includes some recovery seatures with its products.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
March 12, 2010 2:18:20 AM

Your hard disk/memory being loose is irrelevant. You could remove both and still have this issue. If nothing comes up on the LCD and an external monitor, the machine isn't POSTing and won't do anything no matter what keys you hit. You've a major hardware fault here - no recovery CD can fix that.

I see you're out of warranty - in that case, you should completely disassemble the machine down to just a board, CPU, and one stick of memory. Using an external monitor, attempt to boot. If you don't get a POST, your motherboard/GPU is probably dead. If your GPU is not soldered to the board, you can stick it in the oven to see if you can reflow the solder. If not, you can always stick the entire motherboard in there. That's generally the fix for these kinds of failures. If both of those fail, you're going to need to buy a new motherboard.
m
0
l
!