Sign in with
Your question

Ram for overclocking ?!

Last response: in CPUs
June 7, 2010 7:54:02 AM

am going to buy core i7 980x and maybe i will overclock but not much say maximum 3.6 or 3.7 so i wanna know how to figure the right ram (mhz,latency)

2-should i buy ocz platinum or kingston hyperx (the only two available where i live )

More about : ram overclocking

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 7, 2010 9:32:25 AM

Latency generally determines performance, where as speed does not. When OCing processors without unlocked multipliers the RAM speed can be pushed too high and therefore limit your OC. Therefore if the budget can support it 1600MHz RAM is recommended to high OCers to allow more headroom compared to 1333. You are looking at a processor with an unlocked multiplier so it doesn't really matter. However I'm thinking you have a massive budget anyway.

With that finished, I must ask why are you buying a 980X? What are your needs for this highly priced processor?

I'd say Kingston HyperX, however I would rather some G.Skill's.
June 7, 2010 10:18:01 AM

How about corsair dominator range?

And 980X? Billioniare?
Related resources
a c 117 à CPUs
a c 182 K Overclocking
June 7, 2010 11:54:10 AM

Wolygon said:
Latency generally determines performance, where as speed does not. When OCing processors without unlocked multipliers the RAM speed can be pushed too high and therefore limit your OC. Therefore if the budget can support it 1600MHz RAM is recommended to high OCers to allow more headroom compared to 1333. You are looking at a processor with an unlocked multiplier so it doesn't really matter. However I'm thinking you have a massive budget anyway.

With that finished, I must ask why are you buying a 980X? What are your needs for this highly priced processor?

I'd say Kingston HyperX, however I would rather some G.Skill's.

+1 the_punkinator explained very well
i have Corsair Dominators 1600MHz but any major brand 1600MHz will suffice
June 7, 2010 11:14:17 PM

3d max ,rendering,calculating heavy *** in it :D 
June 7, 2010 11:21:46 PM

but what i wanna know ho to pick the right mhz for it how to know if it 1600 or 2000 ...
(maximum 3.6 or 3.7)
!