Thief 2/Catalyst 4.10 Issue

Last response: in Video Games
Share
November 2, 2004 10:49:00 AM

Has anyone else had any problems since the new 4.10 drivers came out
with either ATI or OmegaDrivers? Here's the issue my setup's having
(I also sent it to ATI but figured I'd check here as well):

When using Catalyst 4.10 drivers and playing Thief 2, when you read
maps/scrolls/books/etc./anything that causes the screen to (I'm
guessing) change the refresh rate/resolution, the game will about 95%
of the time lock up with a black screen. If you hit the `Esc' key, XP
will then put you back at the Desktop where you can restart the game
and either load a saved game or quicksave. Uninstalling Catalyst 4.10
and reinstalling Catalyst 4.9 resolves this issue (either the ATI or
OmegaDriver version).

I received a response back from ATI this morning that they feel it's a
setup issue and then they provided some generic information in regards
to updates, etc. all of which of course I already have (Direct X,
chipset drivers, etc.). I still don't get it, if it's a `setup'
issue, why can I revert to the 4.9's and declare problem solved? :-)

There's no problem running the 4.9's, I've just always been a firm
believer in running the latest version of any updates for a variety of
reasons. And I figure there has to be other Thief 2 gamers with ATI
videocards roaming about here. I did try using the 4.10 Beta drivers
from OmegaDriver.net, they didn't cause the black screen lockup, but
they did cause a sort of `pulsing effect' with the speed of the game.
One moment you were walking normal and then next the game was running
at 5 times normal speed. Kind of funny in some situations though.
;-)

Thanks for any insight,

Wil

More about : thief catalyst issue

Anonymous
November 2, 2004 4:35:22 PM

"Truck" <noemail@thisho.use> wrote in message
> Has anyone else had any problems since the new 4.10 drivers came out
> with either ATI or OmegaDrivers? Here's the issue my setup's having
> (I also sent it to ATI but figured I'd check here as well):
>
> When using Catalyst 4.10 drivers and playing Thief 2, when you read
> maps/scrolls/books/etc./anything that causes the screen to (I'm
> guessing) change the refresh rate/resolution, the game will about 95%
> of the time lock up with a black screen. If you hit the `Esc' key, XP
> will then put you back at the Desktop where you can restart the game
> and either load a saved game or quicksave. Uninstalling Catalyst 4.10
> and reinstalling Catalyst 4.9 resolves this issue (either the ATI or
> OmegaDriver version).
>
> I received a response back from ATI this morning that they feel it's a
> setup issue and then they provided some generic information in regards
> to updates, etc. all of which of course I already have (Direct X,
> chipset drivers, etc.). I still don't get it, if it's a `setup'
> issue, why can I revert to the 4.9's and declare problem solved? :-)
>
> There's no problem running the 4.9's, I've just always been a firm
> believer in running the latest version of any updates for a variety of
> reasons. And I figure there has to be other Thief 2 gamers with ATI
> videocards roaming about here. I did try using the 4.10 Beta drivers
> from OmegaDriver.net, they didn't cause the black screen lockup, but
> they did cause a sort of `pulsing effect' with the speed of the game.
> One moment you were walking normal and then next the game was running
> at 5 times normal speed. Kind of funny in some situations though.
> ;-)

When it comes to hardware drivers, especially ATI drivers, my policy is
"don't fix if it ain't broke."

I even ignored it when Thief:D S setup got mad about the Catalyst version I
was running (it was an old version that the readme explicitly warned
against.) The game rendered fine despite its complaining so I wasn't about
to perterb my system and retest all my games for it.
November 3, 2004 11:02:05 AM

Yeah, sometimes it takes them a release or two to fix the things that
end up broke. I'm still sending them follow-up emails that it's
something within their drives.

Wil

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 13:35:22 GMT, "SpammersDie" <y@y.yyy> wrote:

>"Truck" <noemail@thisho.use> wrote in message
>> Has anyone else had any problems since the new 4.10 drivers came out
>> with either ATI or OmegaDrivers? Here's the issue my setup's having
>> (I also sent it to ATI but figured I'd check here as well):
>>
>> When using Catalyst 4.10 drivers and playing Thief 2, when you read
>> maps/scrolls/books/etc./anything that causes the screen to (I'm
>> guessing) change the refresh rate/resolution, the game will about 95%
>> of the time lock up with a black screen. If you hit the `Esc' key, XP
>> will then put you back at the Desktop where you can restart the game
>> and either load a saved game or quicksave. Uninstalling Catalyst 4.10
>> and reinstalling Catalyst 4.9 resolves this issue (either the ATI or
>> OmegaDriver version).
>>
>> I received a response back from ATI this morning that they feel it's a
>> setup issue and then they provided some generic information in regards
>> to updates, etc. all of which of course I already have (Direct X,
>> chipset drivers, etc.). I still don't get it, if it's a `setup'
>> issue, why can I revert to the 4.9's and declare problem solved? :-)
>>
>> There's no problem running the 4.9's, I've just always been a firm
>> believer in running the latest version of any updates for a variety of
>> reasons. And I figure there has to be other Thief 2 gamers with ATI
>> videocards roaming about here. I did try using the 4.10 Beta drivers
>> from OmegaDriver.net, they didn't cause the black screen lockup, but
>> they did cause a sort of `pulsing effect' with the speed of the game.
>> One moment you were walking normal and then next the game was running
>> at 5 times normal speed. Kind of funny in some situations though.
>> ;-)
>
>When it comes to hardware drivers, especially ATI drivers, my policy is
>"don't fix if it ain't broke."
>
>I even ignored it when Thief:D S setup got mad about the Catalyst version I
>was running (it was an old version that the readme explicitly warned
>against.) The game rendered fine despite its complaining so I wasn't about
>to perterb my system and retest all my games for it.

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 6, 2004 4:28:53 PM

"SpammersDie" <y@y.yyy> wrote in message

> When it comes to hardware drivers, especially ATI drivers, my policy is
> "don't fix if it ain't broke."

Amen to that. I'm using Cat 4.2s with Thief 3 and a Radeon 9100, whiich is
a good all around version for such an old card. Newer drivers cause various
problems, while older drivers won't even render a picture.
November 17, 2004 10:16:43 AM

This has been resolved with the 4.11 driver release. FYI :-)

Wil

!