Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Remove OE profile to resolve error

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 9:40:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Help !

Outlook Express 6 under WinXP.

Keep getting messages relating to SMTP unable to send, error 0x8CCC0D

I have worked out why / when it is occurring, but can't see how to fix
it. The profile has 3 accounts set up for 3 different POP/SMTP servers.
When I try to add another, or amend an existing one, I then get the SMTP
error.

If after the error, I roll back using System Restore, I can send and
receive without issues again.

However, it is as soon as I make amendments to the existing accounts or
try to add another that the error then occurs.

I have tried removing all accounts and setting them back up, but to no
avail. I get an SMTP error again, even if i just set one account up.

The only way I can then stop the error from occurring, is to roll back
using System Restore, but of course, this means I can't make the changes
I now require to be made as the error will come back.

My guess is that the users profile is somehow corrupt.

How can I completely remove an OE profile from the registry, and then
start Outlook Express as if it were being started for the first time (as
per when the MS welcome message is generated) thus creating a new
profile?

I haven't tried adding another profile to the existing "Main Profile"
one. This user is a technophobe, so i would prefer to have just the one
profile for her to work from.

I'm not worried about restoring / preserving email, just the ability to
create / change / amend accounts, which I currently can't do.
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 3:01:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Post the full error message and make sure error numbers are correct (which this one isn't - it's two digits short). Each character is 4 bits (hexidecimal) so need 8 characters on a 32 bit computer.

--
----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.uscricket.com
"Tx2" <tx2newscollection@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:MPG.1c23fe05429cc494989e0b@news.individual.net...
> Help !
>
> Outlook Express 6 under WinXP.
>
> Keep getting messages relating to SMTP unable to send, error 0x8CCC0D
>
> I have worked out why / when it is occurring, but can't see how to fix
> it. The profile has 3 accounts set up for 3 different POP/SMTP servers.
> When I try to add another, or amend an existing one, I then get the SMTP
> error.
>
> If after the error, I roll back using System Restore, I can send and
> receive without issues again.
>
> However, it is as soon as I make amendments to the existing accounts or
> try to add another that the error then occurs.
>
> I have tried removing all accounts and setting them back up, but to no
> avail. I get an SMTP error again, even if i just set one account up.
>
> The only way I can then stop the error from occurring, is to roll back
> using System Restore, but of course, this means I can't make the changes
> I now require to be made as the error will come back.
>
> My guess is that the users profile is somehow corrupt.
>
> How can I completely remove an OE profile from the registry, and then
> start Outlook Express as if it were being started for the first time (as
> per when the MS welcome message is generated) thus creating a new
> profile?
>
> I haven't tried adding another profile to the existing "Main Profile"
> one. This user is a technophobe, so i would prefer to have just the one
> profile for her to work from.
>
> I'm not worried about restoring / preserving email, just the ability to
> create / change / amend accounts, which I currently can't do.
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 3:01:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

In article <uNMy2zx3EHA.3504@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, "David Candy" <.>,
a.k.a says...

> Post the full error message

I'm not at the PC in question, so can't c&p the error, but the full
error number is 0x800CCC0B

I've Googled and searched MS KB, but none of the suggestions have fixed
this issue.

I'm happy to wipe the profile from OE, but in doing so, want to make
sure I get the related registry entries, i.e. as if OE had never been
used.

Can you help?
Related resources
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 11:24:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

0x800CCC0B BUSY Server or maildrop is busy.

The server has likely returned an error message of it's own that will be in the text of the OE error message. Read that and it will tell you what it is unhappy about. Servers generally talk english as well.

Unable to logon to the server using Secure Password Authentication. Account: 'dcandy@gmail.com', Server: 'pop.gmail.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR not supported', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18

This is an IE error message (right click and Copy if you don't want to type)

Unable to logon to the server using Secure Password Authentication. Account: 'dcandy@gmail.com', Server: 'pop.gmail.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR not supported', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18

The part
Server Response: '-ERR not supported'
is what your server (well my server) is telling OE. Generally they are a bit more specific than that.

0x800CCC18 SICILY_LOGON_FAILED Logon attempt failed.
0x800CCC90 POP3_RESPONSE_ERROR Client response invalid. (EG ERR Not Supported)
(to get an error I screwed up the logon - which is one of many possible causes for your error number)
--
----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.uscricket.com
"Tx2" <tx2newscollection@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:MPG.1c24bbf319123848989e10@news.individual.net...
> In article <uNMy2zx3EHA.3504@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, "David Candy" <.>,
> a.k.a says...
>
>> Post the full error message
>
> I'm not at the PC in question, so can't c&p the error, but the full
> error number is 0x800CCC0B
>
> I've Googled and searched MS KB, but none of the suggestions have fixed
> this issue.
>
> I'm happy to wipe the profile from OE, but in doing so, want to make
> sure I get the related registry entries, i.e. as if OE had never been
> used.
>
> Can you help?
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 11:24:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

In article <Oahi$M23EHA.2404@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, "David Candy" <.>,
a.k.a says...


> The server has likely returned an error message of it's own that

How about "unknown error"

Like i said, I have searched (in vain) for a fix using the error message
as keywords, but have resigned myself to a) deleting the profile as I
don't know what other underlying issues there are, or b) having just
seen the new release[1] of Thunderbird, transferring the user to that.

Option B is looking decidedly more attractive as it doesn't appear to
utilise the 'nonsense' of the registry when creating a profile.

Unless you can come up with the answer to my question on removing the
"main" profile in OE so it then reacts as if it had never been used,
then I'm afraid option B is looking all the more attractive.



[1] Have used TB previously, but wasn't keen on GUI. The new version is
much better.
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 2:19:32 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Post the error message. What is wrong with you people.

--
----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.uscricket.com
"Tx2" <tx2newscollection@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:MPG.1c24ea37b4347e44989e12@news.individual.net...
> In article <Oahi$M23EHA.2404@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, "David Candy" <.>,
> a.k.a says...
>
>
>> The server has likely returned an error message of it's own that
>
> How about "unknown error"
>
> Like i said, I have searched (in vain) for a fix using the error message
> as keywords, but have resigned myself to a) deleting the profile as I
> don't know what other underlying issues there are, or b) having just
> seen the new release[1] of Thunderbird, transferring the user to that.
>
> Option B is looking decidedly more attractive as it doesn't appear to
> utilise the 'nonsense' of the registry when creating a profile.
>
> Unless you can come up with the answer to my question on removing the
> "main" profile in OE so it then reacts as if it had never been used,
> then I'm afraid option B is looking all the more attractive.
>
>
>
> [1] Have used TB previously, but wasn't keen on GUI. The new version is
> much better.
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 2:19:33 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

In article <OjJixu33EHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, "David Candy" <.>,
a.k.a says...

> Post the error message. What is wrong with you people

"I'm not at the PC in question, so can't c&p the error" might be a clue
for you?

The error is, as already stated, of the "unknown" variety.

OE just repeats the internal account name, SMTP server details, and
gives the number previously mentioned.

I'm not asking to fix the error, just remove the profile.
!