Secure digital format question...

I'm buying a new digital camera to replace the one I have now. I plan
on using the same SD card I have now. I like to keep my old photos on
the card for a while. Will I be able to take this card and put it into
the next camera and still be able to view the photos I took with my
old camera or will they be unreadable? If not then what do I need to
do to get my new camera to be able to display my old photos?
I'm going from a Pentax to a Casio if that makes a difference.
5 answers Last reply
More about secure digital format question

    It'll depend on the camera.

    In many cameras you'll find that the manufacturer is trying to shove lots of
    firmware into a small amount of EEPROM on the camera and in general, when
    things don't fit the "generalization" of things ( like the ability to play
    images that weren't taken with that camera) is generally the first to go.
    Reading the images will fall into two major buckets.

    first, can it find them on the card. Is the directory structure the same,
    do they search the entire card or look in a very specific place.

    Second, once it finds the image, does it have the ability to read any
    arbitray JPEG or TIFF and display it.

    The best way to figure this out is to take the card with you and try it when
    you're checking out the new camera.

    You could also copy the images to your computer and then reformat/copy them
    back to the camera at a later date. Solving the first problem above is
    easy. Solving the second is a little more difficult.

    On 2 Dec 2004 21:47:06 -0800, bostonpartykid@yahoo.com (Ray Lavelle)
    wrote:

    >I'm buying a new digital camera to replace the one I have now. I plan
    >on using the same SD card I have now. I like to keep my old photos on
    >the card for a while. Will I be able to take this card and put it into
    >the next camera and still be able to view the photos I took with my
    >old camera or will they be unreadable? If not then what do I need to
    >do to get my new camera to be able to display my old photos?
    >I'm going from a Pentax to a Casio if that makes a difference.

    I think it will be depending on the camera(s), but then if if it's a
    Pentax Optio to a Casio Z-series then you're more likely to be in luck
    as the Optio uses Casio-developed firmware which is based on the
    firmware in their own models.

    andyt

    Ray Lavelle wrote:
    > I'm buying a new digital camera to replace the one I have now. I plan
    > on using the same SD card I have now. I like to keep my old photos on
    > the card for a while. Will I be able to take this card and put it into
    > the next camera and still be able to view the photos I took with my
    > old camera or will they be unreadable? If not then what do I need to
    > do to get my new camera to be able to display my old photos?
    > I'm going from a Pentax to a Casio if that makes a difference.

    It will depend on the format and size of the original images and what
    the new Camera can read. It has been my experience that camera
    manufacturers don't provide much information on this. I would guess what
    ever they provided would be out of date before the manual got out of the
    printer's shop anyway.

    Generally I believe it will work if your new camera supports the file
    type and the original images are no larger than the largest size supported
    by the new camera.

    Take your card with you when you are shopping and see.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    On 2 Dec 2004 21:47:06 -0800, bostonpartykid@yahoo.com (Ray Lavelle) wrote:

    >the card for a while. Will I be able to take this card and put it into
    >the next camera and still be able to view the photos I took with my
    >old camera or will they be unreadable? If not then what do I need to

    Well, for what it's worth, when I had a Fuji DX10, a friend asked me if I could
    download some pics from his card and put them on a CD. The card was the same but
    from a different brand of camera.

    My camera couldn't read it.

    It may be possible to copy the pics to the computer, format the card in the new
    camera, then copy them back into the new camera.

    Or it might just work anyway...

    --
    Chris Pollard

    http://www.cginternet.net

    It worked fine in case anyone was wondering.

    Andy Turner wrote:
    > On 2 Dec 2004 21:47:06 -0800, bostonpartykid@yahoo.com (Ray Lavelle)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I'm buying a new digital camera to replace the one I have now. I
    plan
    > >on using the same SD card I have now. I like to keep my old photos
    on
    > >the card for a while. Will I be able to take this card and put it
    into
    > >the next camera and still be able to view the photos I took with my
    > >old camera or will they be unreadable? If not then what do I need
    > >do to get my new camera to be able to display my old photos?
    > >I'm going from a Pentax to a Casio if that makes a difference.
    >
    > I think it will be depending on the camera(s), but then if if it's a
    > Pentax Optio to a Casio Z-series then you're more likely to be in
    luck
    > as the Optio uses Casio-developed firmware which is based on the
    > firmware in their own models.
    >

    > andyt

Cameras