Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

HDD and RAID help

Last response: in Storage
Share
April 28, 2012 9:43:19 PM

Hello,
I have a laptop with a 256GB msata and a 256GB SSD set up in RAID 1 and I whant to change the SSD to a 1TB HDD and change it to RAID 0 without losing any data what do I need to do?

More about : hdd raid

April 28, 2012 10:15:36 PM

ETHREAL1 said:
Hello,
I have a laptop with a 256GB msata and a 256GB SSD set up in RAID 1 and I want to change the SSD to a 1TB HDD and change it to RAID 0 without losing any data what do I need to do?



You want to make a RAID 0 array out of a 256Gb msata and a 1TB HDD for a total drive capacity of 1.25Gb? This would slow your SSD down and be pointless. I would not venture down this path. Additionally, do not put the SSD in a RAID configuration as you lose TRIM and will shorten the lifespan of the SSD/msata.

If you decide to go down the path you are headed, then you will need to:

1. Backup everything
2. Reinstall the OS
3. Restore everything

If you need additional storage I would use one of the 256gb as your primary/OS drive and get a fast 1Tb drive as storage. Not sure what you think you are getting by mixing. This will also save you a huge headache because you can just break your mirror (Raid 1) and add the new HDD as the second drive without any data loss.
m
0
l
April 28, 2012 10:30:09 PM

My laptop was made with 1 256GB SSD and 1 256GB msata SSD set up in RAID 1 (for a total of 256GB) without me knowing, and the msata isnt ramovable so I thought I whould replace the SSD with a 1TB HDD and change it to RAID 0 (for a total of 1256GB) and back it up like every week on my 2TB external HDD so...
and I am somewhat new to things like RAID and mirroring and such and if I do a boot and secondary wont that mean that I have to move things from the boot to the secondary manuelly or what?
also the thing I whant is for it to think that the two drives are one drive so...
what do I do? note I have plently of backup space.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 28, 2012 10:37:16 PM

ETHREAL1 said:
My laptop was made with 1 256GB SSD and 1 256GB msata SSD set up in RAID 1 (for a total of 256GB) without me knowing, and the msata isnt ramovable so I thought I whould replace the SSD with a 1TB HDD and change it to RAID 0 (for a total of 1256GB) and back it up like every week on my 2TB external HDD so...



Don't. Just remove the SSD and put in the 1Tb HDD. Setting those two devices up in RAID 0 is a bad idea.
m
0
l
a b G Storage
April 28, 2012 10:54:42 PM

raiding a 1tb HD and a 256gb SSD wont give you 1.25tb of space will it? :S
dont you need identical size drives to raid, meaning you will only get 512gig of usable space if u raid both them drives in raid 0, unless you set them up as JBOD? which is just useless IMO. please correct me if im wrong lol.
m
0
l
April 28, 2012 10:59:09 PM

ShadyHamster said:
raiding a 1tb HD and a 256gb SSD wont give you 1.25tb of space will it? :S
dont you need identical size drives to raid, meaning you will only get 512gig of usable space if u raid both them drives in raid 0, unless you set them up as JBOD? which is just useless IMO. please correct me if im wrong lol.


I dont even really know what I am doing ether so...
m
0
l
!