One HDD Partition failed, but the other works fine?

Maxim2735

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012
This seems a bit strange to me, but I guess it is possible and I'm wondering if there's a way I can recover my data. While playing a game on my laptop today, a telltale *click click click click* starts coming from the hard drive. Obviously bad. Computer freezes, then blue screens. After a few unsuccessful reboots, I try the repair tools. Repair tool can't detect a partition. At this point I assume my entire drive is dead.

However, on another computer, I download an Ubuntu live CD, burn it, and load it on my dead laptop. Ubuntu boots up and is able to read everything in the Data partition of my hard drive just fine. I back it up immediately, then realize I'm not sure what else to do. The C: drive with windows and a lot of my important documents will not mount, though Ubuntu does detect that it's there. I also have a Windows XP live CD which I am using to run chkdsk on the C drive right now. It is finding and repairing some errors, though I'm not sure that will really fix it. Are there any applications I can use to recover my potentially corrupted data? Any way to recover it? Any help would be very appreciated, thanks!