Dell OptiPlex GX720 sound does not work

zillah

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Hi Expert

My client has 5 desktops at his office all of them are Dell OptiPlex GX720 with XP Prof SP3.

One of them sound does not work,,,,,I tried many things, install driver and download new driver , check if the sound is disabled or enabled ,,,,etc.

Sound card is built in.

What I did from home I accessed the desktop that has sound issue (VPN and RDP) and when I un installed the sound driver and installed it again the sound worked I thought this is the end of my dilemma, I was so happy because the issue was solved and I called the client to tell him that everything is fine.

Next day there was a surprise for me my client rang me to tell me that sound does not work,,,,,,I have no idea what do ? Why it was working when I logged in remotely ?

What are other steps I ought to be considering for the troubleshooting ?

Thanks

Blckhaze

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
Is it playing through the right output? When I installed this new soundcard it put the output automatically on the headphone jack even though I was using optical. Had to just go into sound and select the right source.

Since its remotely... He does have the power on the speakers and everything connected right?

zillah

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Is it playing through the right output? When I installed this new sound card it put the output automatically on the headphone jack even though I was using optical. Had to just go into sound and select the right source.

Since its remotely... He does have the power on the speakers and everything connected right?

Sorry I forgot to mention all the PCs at the office do not have external speakers , built-in speakers were used for the purpose of the sound ,,,,,and setting for all sound cards are same ,,,,means workings sound card have same setting for the one that does not work.