SSD Boot issue after HDD wipe

lldsgt

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Okay guys, so a week ago i got my SSD hooked up and got my OS running fine off that and got windows 7 set up, today i got around to backing up my old HDD and then wiping it.
It went fine and after the wipe I restarted and now I can't boot, its recognizing my computer as it would with no OS, telling me to insert install disk and install my OS. It doesnt make sense to me why if i wiped my HDD, that it would cause an issue like this, anyone know of possible solutions?

I already have my boot drive set to the SSD and i unplugged my HDD completly and tried to boot, nothing still

program i used for the wipe was Killdisk

Thanks for the help.

lldsgt

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
i tried that just before and got the following message:

"The version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of windows."

lldsgt

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
No, not really but I was just trying to see if i could fix it before i re-installed it.

I'm just confused as to why this would happen, I did nothing to effect the SSD that I'm aware of, only the HDD.

heabrams

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012
When your computer was booting properly off the ssd, was the old hard disk still attached? If so, it is possible that Windows placed the operating system on the ssd but the boot partition on the old hd. Remember that Windows 7 now defaults to two separate partitions, one that it boots from and one that hold the os. Might that be what happened?

If so, you can reinstall windows on your ssd (with no other drive installed) and then restore the backup-image you just made from your old drive. This process will create both partitions and then restore the os partition as you had it prior to the transition.

I do not know of any way to create just the Windows 7 boot partition.

lldsgt

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Ah, yeah i believe the HDD was still plugged in when i was putting the OS on, but everything was set to be put on the SSD.

Ah i dont even have a backup image for my old HDD, i just took files i wanted to keep and threw them on my external, no OS since i was wiping it to get rid of the OS on that one.

Im just gonna go through and re-install the OS on my SSD, but now if i were to do this what will it do with the information already on it? I mean am i gonna end up having 2 OS on my SSD now or something?

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
When Windows does an installation, it looks for any disks with a BCD (part of the new bootloader) on them already. If it finds them, it simply adds itself to the existing database and continues. Even if your SSD was selected as the install target, it will still only write the boot loader to that drive if it can't find one somewhere else. When you enter setup, format the drive (may need to expand advanced options at the partition screen) and it will clear out the old installation.

lldsgt

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Alright so i went in and formatted the disk and now when i'm going to install windows it says

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table, on EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GTP disks."

lldsgt

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Oh scratch that, it went through the first phase and after the first restart i get the message

"Windows could not finish configuring the system, to attempt to resume configuration, restart the computer"

restarted a few times already