Closed Solved

Why doesn't my BIOS detect my SSD?

I just won a new Intel SSD in a contest. I removed the old SATA hard drive from my laptop and plugged in the new SSD. I turned on my laptop with a Windows 7 installation disk inserted, booted from the Windows disk, and got the screen where it asks which drive to install Windows onto. It said there were no drives detected.

Then I restarted the computer and went into the BIOS and tried to do a "Hard drive diagnostic test" and it said "Hard drive not exist." The SSD also does not show up in the list of bootable devices.

Next, I put my old hard drive back into my laptop and put the SSD in a USB SATA hard drive enclosure. I plugged the enclosure into a USB port and loaded the BIOS again. I looked at the list of bootable devices and the SSD was listed. Then I loaded Windows. Windows did detect the SSD in the Disk Manager and from there I formatted the SSD. Now I am able to see the SSD listed in My Computer as drive "I".

I tried replacing the hard drive with the SSD again and the BIOS still will not detect it. It only detects it when it is plugged in through the USB enclosure. What do I need to do to get it to detect the SSD normally (plugged into the SATA cable inside the laptop)?
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about doesn bios detect
  1. At the welcome screen for Windows 7 installation hit Shift-F10. Then type this:

    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk #(where your SSD drive is the disk # you select)
    clean

    Then close the command prompt box so you are back at the welcome screen and it should be there.
  2. Best answer
    also check if the sata controler is set for ide or achi mode. if it set to ide you need to switch it to the other mode for an ssd to be seen.
  3. That is not true.. SSDs will install in IDE, AHCI, or RAID mode. Ive done them all.
  4. vrumor said:
    At the welcome screen for Windows 7 installation hit Shift-F10. Then type this:

    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk #(where your SSD drive is the disk # you select)
    clean

    Then close the command prompt box so you are back at the welcome screen and it should be there.


    Thanks for the reply! When I type in "list disk" it says "There are no fixed disks to show."
  5. smorizio said:
    also check if the sata controler is set for ide or achi mode. if it set to ide you need to switch it to the other mode for an ssd to be seen.


    Thank you for replying! I don't know how I can set that option. My BIOS has VERY limited options. All I can do is set the date/time, set a password, change the boot order, enable/disable booting from certain types of devices, and set a few other miscellaneous options.
  6. what model laptop is it..with that info some of us can see if there was a bios update to fix that issue or see if the mb chipset of the laptop might be the issue.
  7. smorizio said:
    what model laptop is it..with that info some of us can see if there was a bios update to fix that issue or see if the mb chipset of the laptop might be the issue.


    My laptop is a "HP 2000 Notebook PC", model number qe334ua.
  8. Best answer selected by TehGx1100.
  9. This topic has been closed by Nikorr[/b
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Laptops Hard Drives Storage