Your question

PC Crashes while playing games

Tags:
  • Games
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
February 9, 2013 7:43:33 PM

Hello forums!

About 3 months ago, i built a new computer with different parts that i bought from the internet on a swedish pc website. I was really excited to get to play some high quality games but was quickly turned down when it started crash while playing high quality games. I thought it was overheating, so i bought 4 new fans for my computer and installed them all. My CPU never gets higher than 54 degrees celcius. But it just keeps crashing. There is only 3 games that it crashes on so far. That is "Battlefield 3", "Far Cry 3" and the game that i just bought today "Dead Space 3". I have asked EVERYWHERE for advice on how to fix it. NOTHING worked! I'm getting really sick of this and i really need help to fix this! How it looks like when it crashes is that the screen just goes black or greyish with black stripes and the sound starts to buzz louder and louder so i have to force shut it off. Here are my specs:

Powersupply: 650 watt PSU
Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K 3,4 GHz (Ivy Bridge)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77M mATX
Memory: Corsair 8GB CL10 1600MHz VENGEANCE
Harddrive: 500GB WB Caviar Blue
Graphics card: Gigabyte Radeon HD7850 2048MB OC

More about : crashes playing games

a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2013 8:01:14 PM

I would run memtest overnight to rule out RAM
I would monitor your voltage with speedfan.
also check all temps with speedfan.
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2013 8:05:07 PM

Drivers up to date?

Run furmark or something else to stress test GPU and tell us the temps.
Run prime95 or something else to stress test CPU and tell us the temps.
Stress test both CPU/GPU at same time and tell us the temps.

I want to rule out hardware overheating first.

After you find out the temps I want you to run furmark or whatever program your using for the GPU stress testing and keep running it for 30min or so and look for any defects (forgot the exact term sadly) which you be able to spot on the screen when the GPU isn't working properly, you'll know without a doubt when you see it. If you see known than good, if you do see some it means the GPU is at fault.
February 9, 2013 9:03:17 PM

assasin32 said:
Drivers up to date?

After you find out the temps I want you to run furmark or whatever program your using for the GPU stress testing and keep running it for 30min or so and look for any defects (forgot the exact term sadly) which you be able to spot on the screen when the GPU isn't working properly, you'll know without a doubt when you see it. If you see known than good, if you do see some it means the GPU is at fault.

Yes, all drivers are up to date

When i ran furmark for about 2 - 3 minutes i got up to 58 degrees and stayed there.

When i ran prime95 i got
Core 0: 66C
Core 1: 67C
Core 2: 71C
Core 3: 66C

When i ran furmark and prime95 at the same time i got 59C on my GPU and 69C on Core 0
Core 1: 71C
Core 2: 74C
Core 3: 72C

I'll update on the 30min stress test tomorrow.
February 10, 2013 9:00:54 AM

assasin32 said:
Drivers up to date?

I also did the 30 Minute stress test today and saw no defects except that the GPU temperature went up to 61C instead of 58C.
a b K Overclocking
February 10, 2013 3:16:03 PM

Quote:
I would run memtest overnight to rule out RAM
I would monitor your voltage with speedfan.
February 14, 2013 12:59:33 AM

Hey

I have the exact same problem as described in the OP! I have not run any stress tests yet ( though ive monitored my temps with aida64 and they seemed fine while i had a game open.

Either way i will do these stress tests tomorrow when i have some time.

I just have a few small questions:

Firstly i downloaded SpeedFan and in the Charts tab , both the various temperature and fan speeds options work and show me things i can select to show on the chart. But for the voltage option i get nothing to select on and therefor nothing showing on the chart either. Any idea why? I cant seem to find another place where i can check my voltages. Am i missing something?

Also , how long should i expect the memtest to take btw? I realise it wont be a set time but could you guys give me a ball park figure?
February 14, 2013 2:12:24 AM

I have downloaded HWMonitor to try and get my voltages and it gives me some strange readings.

Hardware monitor ITE IT8728
Voltage 0 1.06 Volts [0x58] (CPU VCORE)
Voltage 1 2.02 Volts [0xA8] (VIN1)
Voltage 2 2.96 Volts [0xF7] (+3.3V)
Voltage 3 5.00 Volts [0xF8] (+5V)
Voltage 5 -3.84 Volts [0x50] (-12V)
Voltage 6 -6.14 Volts [0x80] (-5V)
Voltage 7 2.82 Volts [0x8C] (+5V VCCH)
Voltage 8 1.64 Volts [0x89] (VBAT)
Temperature 0 29°C (84°F) [0x1D] (TMPIN0)
Temperature 1 25°C (77°F) [0x19] (TMPIN1)
Temperature 2 19°C (66°F) [0x13] (TMPIN2)
Fan 0 1015 RPM [0x299] (FANIN0)
Fan 3 735 RPM [0x396] (FANIN3)
Fan PWM 0 0 pc [0x0] (FANPWM0)
Fan PWM 1 0 pc [0x0] (FANPWM1)
Fan PWM 2 0 pc [0x0] (FANPWM2)

Isnt the voltage nr 6 (-12V) way too low?? Or am i getting it wrong? is that the same thing as voltage + 12 btw?

Could this affect my PC crashing during a game then? IT happens rarely , Twice in the last 2 weeks, and the second time i was playing the game for over 3 hours before it happened.

No logs in the event viewer ( except for the critical one since i have to hard boot the pc) and no other crashes when doing anything else with the pc.
a b K Overclocking
February 14, 2013 7:03:05 PM

Looks like it's time for a new PSU
February 16, 2013 6:30:26 AM

anonymous1 said:
Looks like it's time for a new PSU

I think he's right.Because i have the same problem :ange: 
February 17, 2013 2:12:54 PM

ordered a new psu this friday so hopefully bu tuesday ill have it. Lets hope that was the problem and ill update this once i have tried to play games again with the new psu ^^
April 10, 2013 7:47:38 AM

Hey Guys, just wanted to update this , in case it will help any people with problems in the future.

As i had said in my last update i had changed my psu but it turns out that this was NOT the problem. The crashes continued, as infrequent as they were before.

I have no finally been able to get a new motherboard and some ram. After exchanging both of those i have not yet had any crashes so i think it may very well have been a RAM problem. Or ofc the motherboard, but i really had not noticed any other issues with my pc so i would still find it strange if it was the Motherboard.

So if anyone experiences these problems it may be time to exchange the ram... or ofc run memtest which i was simply too lazy to do!

!