Please help - I've tried all I can think of - ati2dvag modern warfare

HowardS

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Hello everyone, I'm at my wits end. I pretty much play 1st person games like "modern warfare", MW2, and "World at War" other than some websurfing - and everything was working just fine until I swapped out my 2 old X1950 XTX Crossfire cards and installed a new Giga-byte 4890 single card. When I first did this, I reloaded to the latest drivers from ATI's website (10.2) and it will not play MW2 or MW1. MW2 freezes as soon as it tries to display 3D images, MW1 runs at about 1 frame a second so I can at least log out. I've tried the wimpiest graphics settings and it doesn't matter. Most of the time, when it does display error- ati2dvag, so I tried other drivers to no avail. So now I'm thinking it's a bad video card but strangely, "World at War" works just fine?!

So, and I'm hoping this will be a good clue, yesterday I completely reloaded windows onto a formatted HD and reinstalled everything from scratch. First I loaded MW2 and it played perfectly with zero problems. Then, tonight, I loaded "Modern Warfare" (Cod4) and it had the same problem as before. Then I say (insert expletive here) and try MW2. Now it's not working at all again either! I am very confused as to what to do next. There is something that Cod4 is loading that has a conflict with my new 4890 card or driver.

Here's my specs;
Processor - AMD 64 X2 5600+
Motherboard - ASUS M2R32
Memory - 4 GB of G.Skill Ram, 3G switch enabled
PSU - 700 watt Silverstone
OS - XP Home sp 3 with all updates.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated,
Howard

vimal992

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
well i scrathed my head for 2 months and found my solution....i hope this works for ur configuraton too...

IF U DONT WANT TO READ MUCH OF MY DESCRIPTION U CAN READ MY BRIEF SOLUTION FOR THIS PROBLEM AT THE BOTTOM.......

actually i bought a new system and faced the ""ati2dvag"" problem on the first day itself...just 2 hours after operating the system and started gta4 and there it goes the same problem...
I tried almost everything....i visited several forums...tried everything mentioned in the internet like updating,,downgrading,,changing the power from higher to lower....every driver i could imagine i updated...the problem would happen when playing intense games and browsing the net.....I gave up and changed the graphic card to NVIDIA 9400GT and i had no problem with that.

when i inserted my ati radeon hd 4650 the problem prevailed..

FINALLY I UPDATED MY BIOS from the intel website and the problem didnt solve.....while doing this i had my ati radeon graphic card inserted in yhe system.....

next time i removed the graphic card and uninstalled my ati radeon drivers.....and i ran my system without the graphic card......means i had installed drivers for the on board graphics and my system worked on the onboard graphics......

NOW I AGAIN UPDATED THE BIOS FROM THE INTEL SITE......it was the same version i tried before which was not successfull.....
my system bios was updated.............now i inserted my graphic card......uninstalled my on board drivers and installed the ati radeon drivers
FOR MY SURPRISE THE PROBLEM GOT SOLVED AND AM NOT FACING IT SINCE 2 MONTHS........

<<<<IN BRIEF MY SOLUTION WAS UPDATING THE BIOS WHEN THE GRAPHIC CARD WAS NOT INSERTED INTO THE SYSTEM....AND INSTALLING THE GRAPHIC CARD AFTER UDATING THE BIOS>>>........thats it.

FOR MORE COMPARING AND CLARIFICATION MY SYSTEM SPEC ARE AS BELOW

I have a CORE I3-530
INTEL DESKTOP BOARD DH55TC
4 GB DDDR 3 TRANSCEDND RAM
2-500 GB SATA HARDDISK
550 WATT MRON
ATI RADEON XFX HD 4650
A DVD COMBO DRIVE

HowardS

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Thanks alot for the reply. I also eventually decided that maybe it was a BIOS error, so I tried to reflash my chip, as per the ASUS website. I thought I was being very careful, but I goofed and downloaded the very latest BIOS they had but I missed where they said it was in BETA (not proven). I loaded it and the PC would not POST. So I tried going back to an older version but the BIOS wouldn't let me go back.

To make my long story short, I had to buy a new BIOS chip and I reloaded everything and so far, it seems to work just fine.

I'm probably going to build a new PC but I'm going to re-use the 4890 so hopefully I won't have this problem again.

Thanks,
Howard