Fysidiko

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Hi there,

I'm running an Athlon X4 620 with an arctic cooling freezer 64 pro heatsink/fan and I've just got a question about CPU temperature. I see people on here saying that the processor should only run a few degrees above room temperature at idle and not much hotter under load; mine is running at 39 degrees C at the moment (mostly idle) and gets to about 50 if I load all 4 cores to maximum. Motherboard temperature stays at 30-33 throughout.

I'm not too worried about the CPU - at its hottest it's still 20+ degrees shy of damage - but I wanted to know what people are doing to keep the temperature so low, especially under load. My CPU fan is being controlled by the MB and normally spins at about 900 RPM; do the temperatures sound unusually high given that I'm running an almost-silent box, or are the people that are getting such low temperatures running fans at 3-4000 RPM?

Exzess

Distinguished
May 27, 2010

What are you using to monitor the temps? Also, what is your ambient temp? 50C for max load is good.

Fysidiko

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
I'm monitoring the temperatures with 'sensors' on Ubuntu - so I assume the motherboard is providing them. Ambient temperature I would guess is about 20C but I don't know exactly.

I was just a bit spooked by all the people saying their box ran at <30 degrees under full load, and wanted to know whether that was typical or if they had huge cooling setups.

Alot of people use really good coolers (some do liquid cool but most to air cooling) with high quality thermal compound like arctic silver 5 or IC dimond.

Other ways people get even cooler temps:

Place just the right amount of compound.

Lapping a cpu: which the goal is to remove any bumps or dents in the cpu casing, making it even to get better thermal transfer.

(although lapping not recommend for a few reasons. 2 big ones are: one, it voids the warranty. two, if not done correctly or mistakes happen, the cpu heat can be worst than before the process was started.)

Undervolting a cpu. Less volts means less heat.
(done it with my intel p4. it's on stock cooler and thermal compound that intel provided. idled around 50c at 1.38v, when i reduced it to 1.28v, my idle temp drop around 35c andseen it drop all the way down to 32c but that was during the winter. Load temps drop accordantly from 80c to around 60-65c. )

Last, some people place there computers in cold rooms. :lol:

Fysidiko

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
OK, it sounds like the people posting such low temperatures have unusually powerful cooling - I'm happy running 5-10 degrees hotter and not being able to hear any fans!