Motherboard PSU Connector Help!!!

Hi, I have purchased a OCZ Stealth Xtream 500W PSU (model: OCZ500SXS2), I have also choosen a motherboard (Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H 890GX Socket AM3 HDMI DVI VGA.. | Ebuyer.com) but this motherboard has a 8 pin CPU power connector and on this PSU I only see a 4 pin CPU power connector (P3):? I need to know if I purchase this motherboard will it be able to work with the PSU and power up an AMD Phenom II X6 1075T 3GHz Socket AM3 125W 9MB Cache.. | Ebuyer.com
Also read on a website:

"You can plug a 4 pin 12V cable into an 8 pin motherboard and it will sometimes work properly but other times it won't work at all or will burn/melt the connector."

Thanks for the help in advance:)
4 answers Last reply
More about motherboard connector help
  1. Hi bashirsabeel and welcome to Tom's forum.

I'd change the PSU, OCZ isn't very good as PSU brand. If you can't change it, you can get something like this
  2. I'm not an expert on AMDs, but my general rule for the whole eight/four thing is: TDP above 100W - eight pin; TDP below 100W - four pin. I've never (and I lose track of the number of systems I put together for buddies of buddies each year - all overclocked) seen a problem with the wires/connectors - not enough juice, simply won't work. Sometimes won't start up; sometimes will become unstable and crash at high loads...

First thing to take a look at is what rail of the PSU the CPU supply is on, and how much current it can supply - busy day today, but I'll try to get a look at OCZ's docs, and see what's up later... Feel free to just try it - won't melt anything at stock clock! Figure it this way - the whole CPU supply does not even all go through that connector, but if it did, 125W ÷ 12V supply = ~10 Amps, ÷ 2 (two supply wires, two grounds) = 5 Amps; not positive exactly, but I believe a standard MOLEX pin is good for 13 Amps!

Bill
  3. If you want to keep it or use another one with a 4-pin ATX you can do like this with no problems:
    http://i.imgur.com/YpAuG.jpg
  4. Yes, you can run a 4-pin with Phenom II X6 1075T; there are a ton of AM3 MOBOs with 4-pin that support that EXACT CPU e.g. ASUS M4A78LT-M, but most if not all AMD 890 chipset MOBOs have 8-pin connectors.

Can vs Should
    I would look at Corsair PSU; if you're going to OC and have something like a GTX 460 then look at the Corsair TX650W. Otherwise configure the PSU -> http://www.corsair.com/psufinder/default.aspx
Ask a new question

Read More

Gigabyte Motherboards Product