Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard PSU Connector Help!!!

Last response: in Motherboards
December 1, 2010 10:56:24 AM

Hi, I have purchased a OCZ Stealth Xtream 500W PSU (model: OCZ500SXS2), I have also choosen a motherboard (Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H 890GX Socket AM3 HDMI DVI VGA.. | Ebuyer.com) but this motherboard has a 8 pin CPU power connector and on this PSU I only see a 4 pin CPU power connector (P3):? I need to know if I purchase this motherboard will it be able to work with the PSU and power up an AMD Phenom II X6 1075T 3GHz Socket AM3 125W 9MB Cache.. | Ebuyer.com
Also read on a website:

"You can plug a 4 pin 12V cable into an 8 pin motherboard and it will sometimes work properly but other times it won't work at all or will burn/melt the connector."

Thanks for the help in advance:) 
a c 292 V Motherboard
December 1, 2010 11:45:46 AM

Hi bashirsabeel and welcome to Tom's forum.

I'd change the PSU, OCZ isn't very good as PSU brand. If you can't change it, you can get something like this
a c 177 V Motherboard
December 1, 2010 1:18:58 PM

I'm not an expert on AMDs, but my general rule for the whole eight/four thing is: TDP above 100W - eight pin; TDP below 100W - four pin. I've never (and I lose track of the number of systems I put together for buddies of buddies each year - all overclocked) seen a problem with the wires/connectors - not enough juice, simply won't work. Sometimes won't start up; sometimes will become unstable and crash at high loads...

First thing to take a look at is what rail of the PSU the CPU supply is on, and how much current it can supply - busy day today, but I'll try to get a look at OCZ's docs, and see what's up later... Feel free to just try it - won't melt anything at stock clock! Figure it this way - the whole CPU supply does not even all go through that connector, but if it did, 125W ÷ 12V supply = ~10 Amps, ÷ 2 (two supply wires, two grounds) = 5 Amps; not positive exactly, but I believe a standard MOLEX pin is good for 13 Amps!

Bill
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
December 1, 2010 1:19:20 PM

If you want to keep it or use another one with a 4-pin ATX you can do like this with no problems:
http://i.imgur.com/YpAuG.jpg
a c 715 V Motherboard
December 1, 2010 1:38:45 PM

Yes, you can run a 4-pin with Phenom II X6 1075T; there are a ton of AM3 MOBOs with 4-pin that support that EXACT CPU e.g. ASUS M4A78LT-M, but most if not all AMD 890 chipset MOBOs have 8-pin connectors.

Can vs Should
I would look at Corsair PSU; if you're going to OC and have something like a GTX 460 then look at the Corsair TX650W. Otherwise configure the PSU -> http://www.corsair.com/psufinder/default.aspx
!