Bottlenecking issue??

Shadrax

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
Hey everyone,

So I've been a browser on these forums for some time, normally I can find the answer to my questions just by browsing through others posts but this time I find myself in need of a direct answer in regards to my rig.

So for the basics, I built this about 2 years ago, and have added random parts as time has passed, I'll post my current set up and then explain the problem I'm now experiencing!

Mobo: M3A32-MVP Deluxe WI-FI

CPU: 2.20 gigahertz AMD Phenom 9500 Quad-Core

RAM: PC2-5300 DDR2-667 1.8V 256Meg x 64 8GB(2GBx4)

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 OC 850 Core - 1125 Memory - Stock Voltage

PSU: BFG 800w Limited edition

HD: ST3500630AS (500.11 GB) and ST3500320AS ATA Device (500.11 GB)(I don't feel comfortable raiding and can't find a walkthrough that makes it dummy proof :p)

I've partitioned my HD so my OS is on a 30g Partition, I also set up a 9G partition that I use for temp files, then the rest of the drive is split up with a partition for all program files with some space left over for media.

The other HD is partitioned into sections with the first one for all of my games, then two more, one for more media and the last for random programs and files that I'm constantly deleting.

I sometimes run dual monitors, neither with a extremely high resolution(1440x900 for gaming).

My GPU is the only thing I've oc'd, I typically try to avoid oc'ing most pc parts, but this card has an extremely easy OC tool.

So now for my problem!

I find my system running into what I imagine is a bottleneck, it runs games(LoTRO, Dragon Age, ect.) at max settings with ease, but sometimes I get strange hang-ups that last from half a second to 5 typically, they happen at random times, but can easily be caused by swinging my screen around in high populated areas. I also get this hang up whenever I turn in a quest or level up in any way. There is no prelude to this taking place, typically I'll be hitting anywhere from 50-100+ fps then suddenly freeze and it'll drop to the single digits, then stutter to the double digits before resuming at normal speeds. It's not a heating issue, I run PC Probe and my temps are all fairly low, my cpu runs around 30-40 depending on load and my GPU never exceeds 45.

I imagine that it's my CPU that is the problem, but am unsure. So I guess my question is would upgrading to the Amd Phenom ii x4 965 Black Edition, something I plan to do once I find this problem(was plotting to buy the new processor this friday), fix this issue, or could there be another culprit(Possibly Hard Drive?)?

Any help would be appreciated, and if you need any information I will gladly post whatever is needed.

My Windows Experience Index is 5.8

Processor at 6.9

Memory at 7.2

Graphics at 7.7

Gaming Graphics at 7.7

Primary Hard Drive at 5.8(which is what's lowered the score obviously!)

I'm really hoping RAM isn't my issue because I plan to upgrade my board in about 4-6 months and get DDR3 at 1600+ but can't afford it at this time.

I also plan to get a Raptor 64G hd that runs at 10k rpms as well in the next 2 months.

Sorry for the long winded post!

Any help would be appreciated, and if you need any information I will gladly post whatever is needed.

Shadrax

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010

Thought it would be a driver issue as well but my entire system is up to date as far as I'm able to tell(I just did a clean install of windows 7 two weeks ago...)

Negative or raptor?? As in I shouldn't get one?

Shadrax

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010

So then memory could be the culprit?

That looks like a nice HD think I'll go with that!

So far it looks like the Processor and or RAM could be my issue? Oh and if it helps I was getting this same hang up on 8800 gt card as well.

Shadrax

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
So I am going to go ahead and grab the Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition on Friday and see if that cures my problem, after doing a lot of research I believe that to be my issue.

I do have one more question now, and it's about my mobo upgrade.

I'm torn between ASUS M4A79T Deluxe AM3 DDR3 AMD 790FX or ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX...

I really like the features of the 89 but am turned off on the onboard graphics, but if I understand correctly I can crossfire it with my 5850 for increased performance??

I also believe the 79 can use ddr2 ram, not that I plan to stick with my current ram but it would allow me a bit more time before upgrading since I don't want to go below 8G and would prefer to just go straight to the top for ram.

Any suggestions between those two with my set up? I'll also be using the HD that was recommended earlier when I make this switch.

As in motherboard with integrated video could be a 'back up' in case your discrete GPU decides to throw in the towel and its RMA time So instead of a high tech paper weight u still can fall back on that integrated video ...while not good enuff to game u still can do just about anything else on the PC hehe

Shadrax

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
Just wanted to get an answer out, I did go ahead and install the phenom ii x4 965 be. It cleared up every issue I had, I also OC'd my ram to 1066 frequencies and it's running extremely stable.

Even with the oc'd ram on the old processor I was still having a serious bottleneck issue, so it wasn't the ram, I do still plan to add in a ssd, and eventually upgrade my mobo but, for my current set up the processor was the issue!