Sign in with
Your question

Dimension E510 won't power up, just blinking amber light

Last response: in Components
June 7, 2010 12:48:27 PM

Hey all, I have a Dimension E510 P4 Dual core processor, 4 gigs of ram, Antec 500w power supply, Evaga GForce 9800 Vid card, Turtle Beach 7.1 sound card and Win7. I have a previous post on this problem; I unplugged all the power connections and jumpered power on the main connector and tested outputs and all are in specs. I plugged everything back in and it worked.

Now after shutdown I can't get power, just blinking amber light. I checked connections on the board and everything is tight. If i mess with it and unplug everything again, re-jumper and plug it all back in it will work the first or second time. Is this a board problem or power supply? The supply is a year old. Would the battery do this? Help!
June 7, 2010 5:44:24 PM

Hard to say without trying a seperate power supply. Have you tried cycling the power on the Powersupply between restarts? Most power supplies have a breaker switch on them. If not, just yank the cable.
m
l
June 7, 2010 11:03:06 PM

I jumpered power at the 24 MB connector and it booted up, so is the problem between the power button and MB or the MB??
m
l
Related resources
June 7, 2010 11:15:55 PM

You could isolate the switch as a problem by disconnecting it internally, hooking up the PSU normally to the motherboard and then shorting the pins for power with a screwdriver or jumper to simulate the switch. If that doesn't work, looks like your motherboard I guess.
m
l
June 7, 2010 11:25:37 PM

I jumpered at the main atx connector...are you referring to the 3 pin connector on the board that comes from the switch?
m
l
June 7, 2010 11:30:27 PM

Yes, the pins the power switch connects to on the motherboard. Not sure why there are three, but yes, shorting two of the three should have the desired effect.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 8, 2010 2:43:52 AM

dont short it...its not a problem with the power button. its something else. either the psu or motherboard or (unlikely) the ram.
m
l
!