Is my PC completely bust?

philmacc

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Where to begin …
About 6 weeks ago my PC occasionally hung on starting; power down reboot worked. Then it occasionally hung while using windows apps (anything .. no pattern there). Then the windows loading hanging increased until by last week it would take up to 20 power downs and reboots before it would load .. then it might be fine for several hours then it would randomly hang .. maybe in the middle of browsing/word editing/screen saver .. anything. I did Chkdsk and nothing. I used the DOS crucial ram checker .. nothing. At this stage, when windows did load, everything worked flawlessly UNTIL the freezeup, i.e.all drives accessible NIS2012 working etc. Nothing odd in startup items either.

Decided that the windows installation was bust so reinstall (after carefully putting all my data files on to ANOTHER internal HDD). Reformatted partition and clean install. Booted up fine first time but no internet (on my laptop). Now what .. every time I boot it wants to run ChkDsk. Sometimes I let it and no errors found … and then it hangs ; sometimes I stop it and it hangs or maybe starts the windows splash screen then hangs .. or it might just load to the logon screen. So rarely I can get into windows and guess what .. although I can see the other HDD and the folders, I cannot get to any of my files(which included, incidentally many of my driver setup files). So then I do a long test with Seatools DOS .. and no errors on either HDD. Tried safe mode … black screen fills with all the drivers being loaded (that’s normal I think) .. then hangs. The dskchk thing is always the same partition (same as the windows disc different partition MyDocs). As I write this I cannot get into windows at all. This is either something very very simple or unbelievably convoluted.
Can you please help me guys? Because of all the tests passed I cannot bring myself to swap in new drives, ram chips because I might be wasting my money.
MSI MS-7528 v1.0 mobo. Intel duo 3GHz, 2GB ram, SATA Hitachi 500GB HDD, (older) Seagate 120GB non-SATA HDD (use as a backup) .. Windows SP3 originally installed, and reinstalled …. Arghhh.

manojgj

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
may be some thing wrong with your HITACHI hdd, try to move all your data to you backup drive(if windows hangs then download HIREN'S Boot cd & use Live xp to backup data)
format you hdd while win xp installation (all 500 gb ) choose "ntfs" instead of "ntfs quick"
this might help......
also you can try with some other tools with hirens boot cd to find and fix hdd errors, etc
if you hdd is under warranty better get it replaced which is most easy and best solution

philmacc

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Hi manojgj
Thanks for your response.
OK I went one step further.Dug out an old IBM HDD, set that as the master and Installed windows there using my original MS XP CD, after first formatting the entire drive as a single partition (slow format not quick , NTFS).
So this was completely blank and I know this HDD works .. I only replaced it because it was too small for my needs.
Windows setup .. install to this 'new' HDD ; I am very worried when my first attempt stalls at the point where the message bar at the bottom of the blue install screen says: setup is loading files (Hardware Abstraction Layer) ... I could not believe this was happening - maybe it's a one off glitch.
Power down and try again this time the setup goes smoothly .. enter my keyboard prefernces etc. and we're down to 19 min left Installing start menu items and the progress bar stops and the install hangs .. dead.
So it's nothing whatsoever to do with the original 2 HDDs and I am baffled and maddened in equal meaasure.
Any ideas please?
Phil

manojgj

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
may be power failure damaged something, smps or board or some thing..
(if possible get technician from local service center's to check them)
make sure your win xp Cd is without any scratches and reading errors, try to burn a new copy of your cd..
just plug one hdd you want to install os & cd/dvd drive
remove all additional hdd, cd/dvd drive , graphics cards , memory sticks(leave only one ram even if it's 256 mb or 1 gb or whatever , you can put it back after installation,....
if you have only only memory stick than try with some other from you friend (must be compatible to you board)
also try with different smps