Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Do It Yourself
  • LED Monitor
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
March 28, 2010 11:45:06 AM

OK. I just got a new desk setup. I love it, but I want to put some blue LEDs under the desk to make it look cool at nite. I haven't found any ready made solutions that was worthwhile, so I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on what parts to get so I can put together some LEDs under my desk. Thank you in advance.

More about : diy underdesk led

a b B Homebuilt system
March 28, 2010 2:56:25 PM

I'd be happy to help, but could you include some pictures? The thing is with LED's, if you don't use a piece of plastic to dim/spread the light, they are just a circle of light, which may look kind of lame.
m
l
Related resources
March 28, 2010 11:49:10 PM

jack_attack said:
How do you plan to power it? You could always try to get something like this to work in there for 120V.

http://www.theledlight.com/northstar.html

From maybe a DC 12V Source. My Idea is, I have two lights under my shelf from Ikea that is shining down on the desk, as well as one that is by the printer on my book case. I have a lava lamp on the desk as well. My thing is that I will most likely tie these to a switch where I can turn all of them on/off simultaneously with the blue leds that I want to put in. The LEDs will have to be slim for a stealth appearance (in other words, you can only see the actually leds if you look close under the desk). In other words, for the LEDs, I want to have the same effect as an Car Underbody ground effects kit.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 29, 2010 12:58:14 AM

Yeah, I think I get what you're saying. Are you going to power them with your PC, or with a mini transformer? I think I'd lean transformer, but that could prove to be tricky too. I'm not exactly sure how I'd do it either way, but I'll think about it for a while.
m
l
March 29, 2010 1:21:05 AM

jack_attack said:
Yeah, I think I get what you're saying. Are you going to power them with your PC, or with a mini transformer? I think I'd lean transformer, but that could prove to be tricky too. I'm not exactly sure how I'd do it either way, but I'll think about it for a while.

Yea I think there is some power supplies that I have been seeing with DC input for about $35 :(  . They will accept bare wire inputs, so I'll have to just price hunt for now.
m
l

Best solution

March 29, 2010 2:10:07 AM

just go find a 12volt (or whatever voltage ur leds need) like the ones used for speakers, telephones,etc... and splice that to the leds. or buy christmas lights and string them under ur desk!
March 29, 2010 5:21:18 AM

shovenose said:
just go find a 12volt (or whatever voltage ur leds need) like the ones used for speakers, telephones,etc... and splice that to the leds. or buy christmas lights and string them under ur desk!

That isn't a bad idea.
m
l
March 29, 2010 5:36:20 AM

This is a bad pic, but gives an idea of my setup.

m
l
March 29, 2010 8:52:54 PM

I might have figured it out. Just ordered some parts. I got an adaptor and some strip lights. I think that it will work. I'll keep everyone posted.
m
l
April 5, 2010 8:17:37 AM

Best answer selected by M-ManLA.
m
l
!