Frehls

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
This is my first time building a system and I'm having quite a few problems. I have a AM3 cpu and I am currently trying to install the heatsink, but whenever I put one of the clamps over the plastic hook, I can't do the same to the other clamp. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Also, I got a small amount of that gray stuff on the bottom of the heatsink on one or two pins, will this damage the cpu?

Thanks

StellariuS

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010

im no expert
you might need careful force..

as for the grey stuff (thermal compound) try to blow or wipe it off... keep it clean ;)

StellariuS

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
*jealous*

anywho, i see theres 2 black sticky outty things on the motherboard that you're trying to clip onto. on the heatsink, is there a lose metal rail running through the center of it, which is what clips on? if so is there a lever on one side of it?

StellariuS

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
yeah its definately careful force required, make sure the lever is up too. if you look inside the heatsink there's and oval rod that rotates with the lever, it must be horizontal when you put it on.

StellariuS

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
Umm, try pry it on.

If you have the bother, take it out the case so you can see why its not clicking on it. you could be close every try. My old PC was the same type of mount. There would be nothing broken or anything wrong, just the guidance.

A classic example of why I tell all first time builders to start super cheap. If thats a $25 cpu, no big deal if it goes boom. If thats a $200 cpu, it is a big deal for most people.

What the other posters said is true. Just need to apply a little careful force.

The stock AMD heatsink is actually pretty easy once you have experience with it.

Heatsinks end up a whole lot tighter than a layperson might think. And some aftermarket units need a lot of careful force. Just keep trying. You will get it. Almost everyone has this problem the first time out. Its because everyone underestimates how much force it takes.