Sign in with
Your question

Revert to older BIOS ASUS M4A78T-E

Last response: in Motherboards
December 1, 2010 1:42:05 PM

Hello guys,

I have just updated my BIOS to the latest version from ASUS website using EZ Flash 2. The computer is running ok but the boot time has increased after this update. Since I had no issues with the old BIOS version, I would like to revert to it. Unfortunately EZ Flash keeps telling me that the version is older then the current one and denies update (or downgrade so to say).

Is there any posibility to revert to the older BIOS?

I have tried to find anything on the web and even on ASUS forums but unfortunately there was nothing.

Thank you.
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
December 1, 2010 2:04:58 PM

My initial thought is not to downgrade, try disabling the Logo Screen in the BIOS. Every time you Flash the BIOS there's always a risk involved of bricking your MOBO.

Q - How much 'longer' are you talking about?

ref - http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=2008041109560523...

"I actually was able to downgrade my bios using ezflash at intial boot up (Alt + F2) with Rampage Formula board. I guess we don't have to go through all these hassle.

BTW - I like to thank Mr.Q for introducing the engineering version of AFUDOS.

With the HP USB system format utility ( http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=197 ) and this AFUDOS, I can freely update Bios and go back whenever I want to...."
December 1, 2010 3:15:15 PM

I have seen that one but on the other hand I've seen a lot of people having problems after flashing with AFUDOS. Aparently the safest way to flash is with the built in flash utility (Alt + F2 and so on) but this one won't let you downgrade.

Related to your question. It is not a lot but it "looks" strange. Let me explain.

When I power up my PC:
1. Express Gate shows up with 3 sec. timer
2. Full logo shows up for 2sec.
3. Screen goes black and shows in the upper left corner a flashing cursor for 2-3 sec. which then jumps aproximate 2-3 lines below and stays there for 1 sec.
4. Screen goes completely dark for 2 sec. and Windows 7 logo shows up and PC boots up normaly after this step

With the former BIOS, step 3 was missing.
Related resources
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
December 1, 2010 3:21:58 PM

If it were me I won't go any lower than 3303, or 3401 with a 6-core. The latest version -> "Legacy Diskette A" is enabled in BIOS setup. => {Disable} in the BIOS.

I reboot my rig once every week or 2 if that {thank God} and the delays aren't a thing that would make me think twice, I would think twice if I had a problem. The RISKS outweigh the 5 seconds.
December 1, 2010 3:35:03 PM

Thank you! That was it. I disabled the Dikette from BIOS and also modified the boot priority. Now everything is back to the normal "look".

I have to correct the previous post: Step 3 took almost 7sec. in total. It was not much but as I said, it looked like something was wrong.

I own a Phenom II X3 710 CPU and I wanted to unlock the 4 core with this BIOS update (wich I did by the way, but the system was just not stable).

Thank you again.
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
December 1, 2010 5:02:02 PM

Cool! - I'm glad that corrected the issue :sol: 
!