Help - Parts Don't match

The_Gemologist

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
I tried to copy a couple of systems, then ran the parts lists on the board then made purchases. Now the parts are here, mother board, CPU, and power supply installed and I don't what could possibly go where. I think I got the wrong supply. Here is my list:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-770TA-UD3 AMD 770

PSU: KINGWIN:Mach1 ABT-1000MA1S 1000W ATX SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 Plus Bronze

RAM: Corsair Dominator 8GB (4 x 2GB)240-Pin

Video: 2 SAPPHIE Vapor-X Radeon HD5770s

HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5B 7200 RPM

PLEXTOR 24X DVD/CD Writer Black SATA

Rosewill RCR-IC002 74-in-1 USB 2.0 3.5 Internal Card Reader

O/S: Windows XP Professional O.E.M.

I've mounted both the motherboard and power supply in the case. I also installed the CPU to the motherboard but not the CPU cooler.

I'm lost. Did I purchase the wrong power supply. I thought more was better. What supply should I purchase ?

I there a diagram available that tells me what plugs into what on the mother board ?

As you can tell, I'm new to this. Can you assist me or provide advice.

tecmo34

Administrator
My tips...

Take the MOBO back out of the case (first), install your heat sink and RAM on the MOBO before you install it back into the case. You MOBO manual shows were everything plugs in... Follow the manual and my sticky and you should be good to go.... http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274745-31-step-step-guide-building

If you run into issues, review this thread and complete the checklist... http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-posting-boot-problems

Your parts will work with each other, so don't worry :)

Yes you should plug in the stock heat sink fan that came with the boxed processor and slot in its 4 pin connector to the CPU_FAN header on your motherboard - check your manual on its location on your board ^^ Also GA-770TA-UD3 is single PCIex16 gen 2.0 so no CF on this board Research on how to do a basic POST test 1st - disconnect everything and just have 1 stick RAM, GPU, CPU with HSF plugged in then slot in your connectors from PSU to mobo. Connect PSU to mains and do POST test before plugging in ODD/HDD and installing OS and screwing into your case

Oh also just in case: what socket PhenomII did you nab? AM2+ like the 940BE/920 or AM3 like 925/955BE? See attached diagram my point in earlier post circled in red and check if PSU connected to the connectors circled in blue
luhg.jpg

You can shot the +/- PW headers in F_panel with the shaft of a screwdriver to start up POST test The headers are circled green in the diagram below
uhaq.jpg

The_Gemologist

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Thank you all for the great information and driection. I will visit the sites you've identified and study. Please forgive me for a quick question but "Did I buy the wrong power supply unit ?

I will study, but I bought, what I thought was a more powerful one figuring I'd be future proofing it rig, sort of. But non of the cables or plugs that came with it look right. It didn't come with any sort of manual, just a colored manufactuer's box. I guess this will be another thing I'll be looking on the web for. But does will a "Kingwin, Mach 1, 1000" work for my motherboard ?

DO NOT try to run the system without installing the cpu cooler, and connecting the fan.

The psu cables are all different, and keyed. They will only go in the proper places; don't force anything.

If all else fails, read the motherboard and case manuals first.

whitefang

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
OP the power supply you selected is modular, that's why it might look a little weird.

It looks like the cords have one side which is 4 or 5 pin that connects into the power supply. The other side is what connects to your components. Molex (4 pin) PCI-xpress (6/8 pin) the 24 pin main motherboard connector. 4/8 cpu connector, then you will have sata connectors for your HD and dvd rom drive.