Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard Chipset & SLI Question

Last response: in Motherboards
December 1, 2010 2:29:44 PM

Wife wants to know what to get me for Christmas. I kinda want to build my own rig for once. In the past, I just bough refurbs, last being a Dell, put a new PSU in, vid card, CPU, etc, and went on with my life.

I got a PNY GeForce GTX 640 1gb coming. And at the price right now, if I decide to build my own rig, I might get 2 and run SLI. So I got a couple of probably really simple questions....

1) Does the video chipset of the motherboard need to match the GPU? So if a motherboard has an ATI video chipset, do I need to run an ATI GPU or can I run a GeForce GPU?

2) Is SLI dead or something? When I go through the sites I normally use (TD, Egg, etc), I see very few motherboards that are "SLI ready" or "hybrid SLI."

3) I found this board, any feedback on it? Anything better out there in that price range or less? http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Want a motherboard that is DDR3, AM3, 2 PCIe 16x 2.0 slots. So any recommendations would be great.

Thanks!
Steve
a c 717 V Motherboard
December 1, 2010 2:48:27 PM

I assume you meant a GTX 460.

ANS:
1 - Yes you need to verify SLI Compatable; there are AMD MOBOs with the nVidia chipsets and Intel with both allowing SLI & CF.
2 - SLI is very alive and most gamers prefer SLI over CF. You may be looking at AMD MOBOs; AMD owns ATI.
3 - I would look at the ASUS M4N98TD EVO http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... or ASUS M4N75TD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The higher the AMD chipset the better.
m
l
a c 235 V Motherboard
December 1, 2010 3:10:13 PM

^+1...

Have you considered going Intel using an i7-760 to build off of, which a setup can be had for similar pricing but a more reliable SLI setup (Nvidia chipsets have been known to be very buggy!! :D  )?
m
l
Related resources
December 1, 2010 7:06:48 PM

Yes, meant 460 :-)

Jaquith, the M4N75TD is what I was looking at. Looks like a good option for me. Could go with your 1st link incase I ever want to move to a 6 core processor.

I haven't shopped for PC parts in a long time. Forgot that AMD owns ATI, so that explains alot.

Tecmo, I never really considered Intel. Seem to always get good "bang for your buck" about AMD. ALways had AMD processors. Never had a single issue. I dropped my current 6000+ in about 3 years ago, never had 1 issue.
m
l
a c 214 V Motherboard
December 2, 2010 9:21:40 PM

An 1156 based setup will run ya about $1200 w/ twin SLI

I'd start with an Asus Sabertooth w/ an Intel 760 or 860. Newegg is using the Sabertooth's amazing popularity of late to foist some rather unattractive combos on us. I'm sire if ya search, ya can find it for the same price as newegg....amazon had it at $149 for a while but's it has popped up a bit of late

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Sabertooth-55i-Intel-Motherb...

Did this build few weeks back so some proces may be outdated. Should still run ya about $1100, getting 1 GFX card now and another later on. Also set aside for later purchase is an extra fan for the GFX cards and an SSD

Case - $90 - Coolermaster HAF-922
Case Fans - Later - CM Red 200 mm
PSU - $120 - Corsair HX750
MoBo - $150 - Asus Sabertooth 55i
CPU - $209 - Intel i5-760
Cooler - $40 - Scythe SCMG 2100
TIM - $5 - Shin Etsu
RAM - $80 - 2 x 2GB Mushkin CAS 7
GFX - $220 - EVGA GTX 460 SC
GFX - Later - Same
HD - $55 - Seagate 7200.12 1TB
SSD - Later - OCZ Vertex 2 3.5" 120GB
DVD Writer - $19 - ASUS 24X DVD Writer
OS - $100 - Win 7-64 Home OEM

m
l
December 6, 2010 12:27:13 PM

Quote:
you don't really want the 6-core cpu do you.?
what are yuor usage plane for the unit.?

Basically looking to build a cheap gaming rig. As nuts as this sounds to most anymore, I still play games at 1024 x 768, maybe slightly higher. Don't need a TON of power, but my existing setup is behind the times.

The board I am looking at, Asus M4N75TD, supports Phenom II processors, which includes 6-core processors unless I am mistaken.

I got a tight budget, but want room to expand if needed (starting off with 4gb ram, 1 GPU, etc). Down the road could pick up some more parts to increase performance.
m
l
December 6, 2010 5:20:43 PM

It is. I game and surf the internet. However, I do have a very nice HD videocamera that I need to get more value out of. Plus I hate having a slow computer, so I decided to go with the Phenom II X4 955 Black Box 3.2ghz. Faster than my current 6000+, quad core, and all the Tom's charts have this thing towards the top (esp for AMD processors, and esp in terms of GPU performance).

I got room to grow with this setup. 2nd GPU in SLI, more ram, faster ram, even a more powerful processor down the road.
m
l
December 6, 2010 7:16:12 PM

Well I am looking for a big difference. My current 3gb of DDR and my 6000+ are being chewed up and spit out by COD-BO.

So, ill be going from....
6000+ 3.0ghz Dual Core -> Phenom II X4 955 3.2ghz Quad Core
PCIe -> PCIe 2.0
SATA 1.5gb 5400rpm HD -> SATA 3 7500rpm HD
3gb DDR -> 4gb DDR3

Yeah, tiny upgrade :-) And who knows if I was ever even utilizing the 6000+. I through it into a Dell mobo which came with a 5000+. So I know I have the mobo to handle the processor.

Now granted, the coding of the game must be terrible because my system isn't that pathetic with a GTX 640 1gb running. The game does not utilize the GPU, period. And looking at the memory load, moving to faster RAM will really help. 1st time i've ever seen a program/game with 1gb of system memory usage.
m
l
December 9, 2010 1:52:44 AM

Well, I got the M4N75TD today. You know you are always going to have an issue doing a build or something like this...and they come in 3s. So here's #1....

The M4N75TD runs PCIe x16 2.0 at x8. There's a "technical update" page sitting right on top as soon as you open up the box. TD or Amazon said nothing of it. I did this so I could get MORE out of my vid card. Now, several posts on here said you won't notice a difference, but since the rest of my parts won't get here until next week, heck with it, i'm getting x16 on both PCIe 2.0 x16 slots!

So, ordered the ASUS M4N98TD EVO and already have the return setup with Amazon. I didn't even open the mobo and Amazon is pretty darn good with returns. So not worried. The new mobo should get here next week with the rest of the parts.

Mobos which are AM3, DDR3, 2 x PCIe x16 2.0 (both run at x16) and are SLI ready are hard to come by. Really not many options. Some bad reviews on this mobo (something about cold booting wiping the BIOS) and some really good reviews. Heck, all the mobos I look at have the same thing.

1 issue down. 2 to go :) 
m
l
!