Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Am I pushing it?

Last response: in Systems
March 28, 2010 3:17:13 PM

Hey all! This is my first post but I have read hundreds and know I am asking the right group of people. Love this forum.

On to my question. I hope I put this in the right place, if not, my apologies.

I built a server system to have on my network to learn on as I'm in school, as well as act as a server on my home network :) 

It's currently running Server 2008 Standard as the primary OS. What I'd like to do is to add some VMs to add to it's functionality. I'd like to add WHS for the media server benefits and I'd like to add Win 7 so it could also be my HTPC and liberate my laptop from atop my TV. Sound logical?

Running a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P with 8GB DDR2 800 and an e8500. The parts from my previous build.

Anyway, this idea just popped into my head and I thought I'd get some input.
Thanks.

More about : pushing

a b B Homebuilt system
March 28, 2010 4:25:08 PM

Quote:
What I'd like to do is to add some VMs to add to it's functionality. I'd like to add WHS for the media server benefits and I'd like to add Win 7 so it could also be my HTPC and liberate my laptop from atop my TV. Sound logical?
I don't fully understand why you'd want to load Windows 7 in a VM. Will you use Hyper-V, VMware Server, something else?
m
l
March 28, 2010 4:28:55 PM

For Media Center.
I'd be using Hyper-V.
Thanks.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
March 28, 2010 4:34:41 PM

As long as you understand the downside of a VM where video definitely isn't fast. The purpose of virtual machines usually is to consolidate servers.
March 28, 2010 4:38:41 PM

Hmm, I am aware what VMs are generally used for, but I thought I would take advantage of the technology. I was not aware of the video limitations. I'll do some research and see if the idea is worth pursuing. Just trying to, again, liberate my laptop, without having to start spending on another build...though I could think of worse things :) 
m
l
March 28, 2010 5:49:56 PM

Best answer selected by DecibleRoll.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 28, 2010 7:51:40 PM

DecibleRoll said:
Hmm, I am aware what VMs are generally used for, but I thought I would take advantage of the technology. I was not aware of the video limitations. I'll do some research and see if the idea is worth pursuing. Just trying to, again, liberate my laptop, without having to start spending on another build...though I could think of worse things :) 

Giving it a try will cost you nothing. It may meet your expectations. If not, then you'll at least be able to justify another build.

Edit: Once you install Hyper-V, you'll probably notice that video on your main server will also be slower. I haven't tested R2, so that may have changed.
m
l
!