Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Bad Company 2

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 12, 2010 2:18:45 AM

I just bought the Qosmio x505 Q880 lap top . It has the Intel Core i7-720QM processor quad core 2.8 , 6 gig dd3 and the gts 360M that has 2298MB total: 1GB GDDR5 discrete memory + up to 1274MB shared memory w/NVIDIA® TurboCache™ technology.

I an trying to play battlefield bad company 2. The game recommends quad, 2.0ghz , 2 gb ram , video 512 mb the GTX 260.

I am getting at 1920 x 1080 low 51-97 average 70 Medium 30-60 average 46
and high 15-27 average 20.

I am not that familiar with what to expect from a video card. Is this good? Is this game extreme on the graphics demands? I am debating on taking this computer back. Am I missing that much by having to play on medium? With this lap top not being able to play this game at high settings right now how good will it be a year from now ? Should I consider a lap top with gtx 285m. I am not an extreme gamer I just want to be able to play for a few years without having to update.

Thanks for your thoughts.

JES

More about : bad company

March 12, 2010 3:54:20 AM

the GeForce GTX 285M and the 360M are so close in specs that your won't notice much of a difference.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,...

You also have to realize that your using a notebook to play one of the latest games, w/ intensive graphics. If you want to keep your high settings, you can try lowering the resolution a bit.
Overall, your system seems pretty sound for a mobile platform and should be decent for quite some time

Lastly, just remember that there's a difference between 'recommended settings' and 'minimum settings'
Recommended is basically saying the bare minimum to play this game on maximum settings.
March 12, 2010 6:33:18 AM

Your held back by the video card, by a lot. If you're familiar with the 8800gts 512mb it a fair bit more powerful then the 360m.

Your' not missing too much by playing on medium, the graphics in BC2 are good either way.

Personally i'd return the laptop and build a desktop that's about 4x more powerful at the same price.
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
March 12, 2010 8:12:23 AM

jes1159 said:
I just bought the Qosmio x505 Q880 lap top . It has the Intel Core i7-720QM processor quad core 2.8 , 6 gig dd3 and the gts 360M that has 2298MB total: 1GB GDDR5 discrete memory + up to 1274MB shared memory w/NVIDIA® TurboCache™ technology.

I an trying to play battlefield bad company 2. The game recommends quad, 2.0ghz , 2 gb ram , video 512 mb the GTX 260.

I am getting at 1920 x 1080 low 51-97 average 70 Medium 30-60 average 46
and high 15-27 average 20.

I am not that familiar with what to expect from a video card. Is this good? Is this game extreme on the graphics demands? I am debating on taking this computer back. Am I missing that much by having to play on medium? With this lap top not being able to play this game at high settings right now how good will it be a year from now ? Should I consider a lap top with gtx 285m. I am not an extreme gamer I just want to be able to play for a few years without having to update.

Thanks for your thoughts.

JES

Your FPS is fine.
The game recommends desktop GTX 260 which is completely different with GTX 260M.
GTX 260M performs like a desktop 9800GT which is significantly slower than a GTX 260.
a b Î Nvidia
March 12, 2010 8:13:46 AM

arges86 said:
the GeForce GTX 285M and the 360M are so close in specs that your won't notice much of a difference.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,...

You also have to realize that your using a notebook to play one of the latest games, w/ intensive graphics. If you want to keep your high settings, you can try lowering the resolution a bit.
Overall, your system seems pretty sound for a mobile platform and should be decent for quite some time

Lastly, just remember that there's a difference between 'recommended settings' and 'minimum settings'
Recommended is basically saying the bare minimum to play this game on maximum settings.

No,GTX 285 has 128SP and GTS 360M has 96SP so GTX 285M performs noticeably faster
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-285M.23...
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTS-360M.24...
March 12, 2010 1:22:47 PM

Maziar said:
No,GTX 285 has 128SP and GTS 360M has 96SP so GTX 285M performs noticeably faster
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-285M.23...
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTS-360M.24...

according to TomsHardware "I don’t recommend upgrading your graphics card unless the replacement card is at least three tiers higher. Otherwise, the upgrade is somewhat parallel and you may not notice a worthwhile difference in performance." And on the chart from the link i provided they are only one tier apart. So it would seem they aren't that different
a b Î Nvidia
March 12, 2010 2:21:35 PM

since the OP is playing @ 1920x1080,GTX 285 will give a noticeable boost but if the resolution was 1280x1024 then yes it wasn't worth it,but overall the performance that a GTX 285 brings isn't worth to sell the current notebook and get a new one
!