Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Upgrading from sli'd 8800gts...maybe

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 12, 2010 2:34:11 AM

Hello everyone! I'm looking to upgrade my computer. Right now my specs are: Core 2 Duo e6600, Asus P5N-E, 4gb ddr2 800mhz, 2 8800gts 640mb in SLi. So what would be a worthwhile upgrade from those 8800s, if at all?

More about : upgrading sli 8800gts

a c 376 U Graphics card
March 12, 2010 3:27:55 AM

I'm not sure exactly how well those cards scale in SLI but I believe an HD5770 should be a decent bit faster while offering DX11 compatibility, much greater power efficiency and it will have no SLI scaling/compatibility issues.
If you can afford it an HD5850 would be a huge upgrade.
March 12, 2010 3:45:21 AM

How much of a bottleneck would there be with an HD 5850?
Related resources
a c 271 U Graphics card
March 12, 2010 3:54:27 AM

Whilst the E6600 is a few years old now it's not that bad a CPU and with a good HSF will OC like a mad thing, 3.4ghz - 3.6ghz is very doable.
March 12, 2010 3:56:23 AM

I have an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro on it, but I must be doing something wrong because I have never gotten it to overclock and be stable.
a c 271 U Graphics card
March 12, 2010 4:13:06 AM

superlogan said:
I have an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro on it, but I must be doing something wrong because I have never gotten it to overclock and be stable.

Do you have a fan on the northbridge? because the 680i chipset can sometimes need a voltage increase (Nvidia say 1.45v) which will result in a rise in the temperature leading to instability.
March 12, 2010 4:16:18 AM

Nope, no fan on the northbridge.
a c 271 U Graphics card
March 12, 2010 4:19:10 AM

superlogan said:
Nope, no fan on the northbridge.

Then I would advise you get one on there before you start upping the voltage as it will get hot, really hot.
a c 172 U Graphics card
March 12, 2010 2:38:07 PM

This is a 650I board and with the heatsink that came stock with this board a simple fan mod will buy some room on the fsb. The 65nm chips are tricky to oc over 3ghz. I had an e6600 for a short time it handled volts well but my psu heated up like the parking lot under a mid day Texas sun during the summer. 3.6ghz is tricky to get so 3.2ghz is a safe bet with your cpu.
a c 271 U Graphics card
March 12, 2010 3:14:51 PM

nforce4max said:
This is a 650I board and with the heatsink that came stock with this board a simple fan mod will buy some room on the fsb. The 65nm chips are tricky to oc over 3ghz. I had an e6600 for a short time it handled volts well but my psu heated up like the parking lot under a mid day Texas sun during the summer. 3.6ghz is tricky to get so 3.2ghz is a safe bet with your cpu.

So it is, my bad. Although that doesn't alter the fact that it's going to get warm if you up the voltage, the OP had just better check on the voltage limit as I'm not sure if it's the same as the 680i, and as I've had an E6600 @3.6ghz on a 965 chipset I know that it's possible but whether the same could be achieved on a 650i, who knows?
a c 172 U Graphics card
March 12, 2010 3:34:51 PM

Mousemonkey said:
So it is, my bad. Although that doesn't alter the fact that it's going to get warm if you up the voltage, the OP had just better check on the voltage limit as I'm not sure if it's the same as the 680i, and as I've had an E6600 @3.6ghz on a 965 chipset I know that it's possible but whether the same could be achieved on a 650i, who knows?


The main difference is the south bridge and a few features are disabled. The NB is the same however is unlikely to reach the speeds typically seen with a 680i. A simple fan mod will help raising the fsb limit since it might max out around 300-350mhz physical so better cooling is a must. There are guides to overclocking with this board on youtube and else ware. Again fan mod the cooler. At least its not the older version of this board with a nforce4 (one very hot chipset about that of a 975bx) that I had to take a socket a cooler that was solid cooper and mod it to ware it mounted with a 5k rpm fan just to cool it. That board sucked I later sold it. This one is better but still a pain in the back side.
!