Stuck in Thief 3: Look for hints in Garrets building

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

I'm stuck in Thief 3. After escaping the Keeper prison I searched my friend
and got a note that I should go to my home building and look for hints what
happened. Sadly, I can't find anything. I searched Garrets rooms (and killed
the two keeper asassins), the Landlord room and the other two rooms, but no
hints. The only thing I found is a hidden door, in Garrets room with the
hanging man. There is a lock in the door, but after lockpicking it doesn't
open, whenever I activate the door I end up picking the same lock again.

Am I missing something?

Benjamin

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 22:36:45 +0100, "Benjamin Gawert" <bgawert@gmx.de>
wrote:

>I'm stuck in Thief 3. After escaping the Keeper prison I searched my friend
>and got a note that I should go to my home building and look for hints what
>happened. Sadly, I can't find anything. I searched Garrets rooms (and killed
>the two keeper asassins), the Landlord room and the other two rooms, but no
>hints. The only thing I found is a hidden door, in Garrets room with the
>hanging man. There is a lock in the door, but after lockpicking it doesn't
>open, whenever I activate the door I end up picking the same lock again.
>
>Am I missing something?
>
>Benjamin

I avoided the prison by using "save" a lot so I could always load
before I just got caught. What do your objectives say to do next?
Notes are not your objectives.

"Benjamin Gawert" <bgawert@gmx.de> writes:

> Am I missing something?

Look for a note lying on a table I think.

--
Darin Johnson
"You used to be big."

"Benjamin Gawert" <bgawert@gmx.de> wrote in message
> I'm stuck in Thief 3. After escaping the Keeper prison I searched my
> friend and got a note that I should go to my home building and look for
> hints what happened. Sadly, I can't find anything. I searched Garrets
> rooms (and killed the two keeper asassins), the Landlord room and the
> other two rooms, but no hints.

Someone left a letter for you on your table. Look for it.

> The only thing I found is a hidden door, in Garrets room with the hanging
> man. There is a lock in the door, but after lockpicking it doesn't open,
> whenever I activate the door I end up picking the same lock again.

That's not a hidden door - that's your practice lock.

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 15:56:08 -0800, Trout <fish@noemail.invalid> wrote:

>On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 22:36:45 +0100, "Benjamin Gawert" <bgawert@gmx.de>
>wrote:
>
>>I'm stuck in Thief 3. After escaping the Keeper prison I searched my friend
>>and got a note that I should go to my home building and look for hints what
>>happened. Sadly, I can't find anything. I searched Garrets rooms (and killed
>>the two keeper asassins), the Landlord room and the other two rooms, but no
>>hints. The only thing I found is a hidden door, in Garrets room with the
>>hanging man. There is a lock in the door, but after lockpicking it doesn't
>>open, whenever I activate the door I end up picking the same lock again.
>>
>>Am I missing something?
>>
>>Benjamin
>
>I avoided the prison by using "save" a lot so I could always load
>before I just got caught. What do your objectives say to do next?
>Notes are not your objectives.

The prison is part of the fun. When I heard that I went back to that part
of the city and let myself get caught. :)

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

"Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 15:56:08 -0800, Trout <fish@noemail.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 22:36:45 +0100, "Benjamin Gawert" <bgawert@gmx.de>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I'm stuck in Thief 3. After escaping the Keeper prison I searched my
>>>friend
>>>and got a note that I should go to my home building and look for hints
>>>what
>>>happened. Sadly, I can't find anything. I searched Garrets rooms (and
>>>killed
>>>the two keeper asassins), the Landlord room and the other two rooms, but
>>>no
>>>hints. The only thing I found is a hidden door, in Garrets room with the
>>>hanging man. There is a lock in the door, but after lockpicking it
>>>doesn't
>>>open, whenever I activate the door I end up picking the same lock again.
>>>
>>>Am I missing something?
>>>
>>>Benjamin
>>
>>I avoided the prison by using "save" a lot so I could always load
>>before I just got caught. What do your objectives say to do next?
>>Notes are not your objectives.
>
> The prison is part of the fun. When I heard that I went back to that part
> of the city and let myself get caught. :)

Getting a bit OT (the OP wasn't talking about Pavelock prison) but I got
rather testy at the fact that the player who plays the game correctly is
penalized by missing out on an entire level. Garrett does not get caught.
Period.

There should have been a more legitimate way to trigger that mission than
purposely jumping into the sea, sitting in a fireplace or letting yourself
get sliced up by Benny or whatever contrivance people use to get to that
mission. Maybe a subquest where one of the mission maps is in the Pavelock
loot collection, err.. evidence box and the easiest way to get in there to
steal it is to surrender and break out.

SpammersDie wrote:

> Someone left a letter for you on your table. Look for it.

Thanks for the tip, I have it now. Sometimes I'm just too blind ;-)

Benjamin

> Getting a bit OT (the OP wasn't talking about Pavelock prison) but I got
> rather testy at the fact that the player who plays the game correctly is
> penalized by missing out on an entire level. Garrett does not get caught.
> Period.

My thoughts exactly. Maybe there should be a mission where it's impossible
to avoid getting caught, that is to say when you get to a certain point
there is a cutscene which shows you being arrested or something. A bit like
in TDP when Constantine steals your eye and then you have to escape from his
house.

--
"I will not live in a land where man is deprived
of his basic right to raise sheep on Mars."

http://www.sendbobtomars.com

"SpammersDie" <y@y.yyy> writes:

> There should have been a more legitimate way to trigger that mission than
> purposely jumping into the sea, sitting in a fireplace or letting yourself
> get sliced up by Benny

When I wanted to get into the prison, I decided to let a guard kill
me. I was quite surprised at how long this took! The funniest thing
was that every so often the guard would get tired from hacking at me
and stop to catch his breath :)

--
Darin Johnson
"Floyd here now!"