Sign in with
Your question

Udgrade RAM from 2 GB to 4 GB ?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
June 7, 2010 5:43:17 PM

Hey :) 

With this improvement 2GB to 4 GB have an effect in **gaming** and other tasks ...
and what are these effect + benefits of 4 GB RAM ?

My System Spec:

CPU/Processor -Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 2.20GHz
Video Card -Nvidia 8400 GS 512MB
(I will remplace this Card with ATI HD 4770 512mb GDDR5 soon)
Hard Drive -360 GB
OS -Windows 7 x64-Bit

Thx in advance ;)  !!!

More about : udgrade ram

a b à CPUs
June 7, 2010 7:32:06 PM

Increase from 2 GB to 4 GB won't cause any performance improvement in games (loading times, frames per seconds, etc).

Getting larger RAM simply means your computer can perform more tasks simultaneously; it doesn't improve performance in single applications (unless they are memory intensive, like video editing, etc)

btw, with the CPU that you have, getting 4 GB RAM is not worth it; due to low clock speed, the CPU is slow anyway.
a c 131 à CPUs
June 7, 2010 7:36:36 PM

Depends on what games you play and at what settings and resolution. Some games, like Crysis, would benefit from the extra memory. Other games, like MW2 are fine with 2GB. I ran 2GB for the longest time before I came across another two 1GB chips for free. I'm happy with the 4GB and I can do some things better but if it is worth it, depends on the games you play. Keep in mind, I have a radeon 3870 and an Athlon IIx4 3.25GHz. I say that even if you can deal with 2GB now, you will want 4GB in the future. So if you can get an extra 2GB for a good price, go for it. But you won't get dramatic improvements in most games.
4GB will definitely be an improvement if you want to do a lot at once or you like to tab out of your games though.
Related resources
a c 81 à CPUs
June 7, 2010 8:17:21 PM

You should definitely upgrade to 4GB.. It is fast becoming (if not already) the norm with any build be it gaming or even HTPC.. You'll definitely get a smoother desktop experience.. However, i don't understand what do you exactly mean by gaming with that video card of yours.. Its seriouslly weak.. You should look forward on upgrading it (depending on your budget) to a HD 5670 atleast..
a c 81 à CPUs
June 7, 2010 8:18:30 PM

You should definitely upgrade to 4GB.. It is fast becoming (if not already) the norm with any build be it gaming or even HTPC.. You'll definitely get a smoother desktop experience.. However, why do you want to upgrade to a 4770.. My advice would be to make the jump to a 5770..
a c 81 à CPUs
June 7, 2010 8:34:53 PM

Sorry for the double post.. I dint observe the 4770 plan carefully for the first comment..
a c 131 à CPUs
June 8, 2010 4:19:33 AM

Emperus said:
Sorry for the double post.. I dint observe the 4770 plan carefully for the first comment..

Try using the edit button next time instead. It's the little pencil and paper icon in the bottom right hand corner of your post. You can also go into the edit mode and check "delete this reply" to delete a post. ;) 
!