Slow USB 3.0. Why ?

I have built a new intel based PC. I5-2500K, Intel DBZ68bc MOBO. I copy file over 1gb all the time. The best transfer rate I can get is about 6mb/s. I thought this 3.0 USB was suppose to transfer in the gb's per second.
9 answers Last reply
More about slow
  1. Alan8609 said:
    I have built a new intel based PC. I5-2500K, Intel DBZ68bc MOBO. I copy file over 1gb all the time. The best transfer rate I can get is about 6mb/s. I thought this 3.0 USB was suppose to transfer in the gb's per second.

what drives are you transferring from. like for instance i have an external hard drive enclosure that is usb3 and i have two 3.5 inch hard drives that I copy to and from and the max rate i normally get is about 100 mb/s because that is the max read/write speed of the hard drives.

yes usb 3 can transfer faster the 6 mb/s but your limited by the drive speeds.
  2. Still pretty slow though. My USB 3.0 portable hard drive transfers from my PC at about 45-50mb/s.

The theoretical speed of USB 3.0 doesn't matter when it exceeds the speed of a 7200rpm Hard drive. Still, I get 10-15mb/s from my USB 2.0 hard drive, so something is wrong.
  3. Alan8609 said:

Did you install the motherboard chipset driver and usb 3 driver? You should get more like 60-80MBps average rates for a usb 3 transfer.
  4. hardeho said:
    Still pretty slow though. My USB 3.0 portable hard drive transfers from my PC at about 45-50mb/s.

The theoretical speed of USB 3.0 doesn't matter when it exceeds the speed of a 7200rpm Hard drive. Still, I get 10-15mb/s from my USB 2.0 hard drive, so something is wrong.

I am transferring from a barraca 1tb 7200rpm, (I am also using OCZ buffering) to a USB 3.0 jump drive.
  5. RealBeast said:
    Did you install the motherboard chipset driver and usb 3 driver? You should get more like 60-80MBps average rates for a usb 3 transfer.

I have the 3.0 host controller in my program list. What am I looking for with the chipset ?
  6. That is way too slow, are you using the usb 3 ports on the back panel of the motherboard? My USB 2 drives do faster transfers than your USB 3.
  7. No, I am using the front USB (blue) ports. I plugged their blue cable into the 3.0 USB header located on the MOBO.
  8. Alan8609 said:
    I am transferring from a barraca 1tb 7200rpm, (I am also using OCZ buffering) to a USB 3.0 jump drive.

this is not surprising. is it a cheap flash drive? what is the drives rated speed?

RealBeast said:
    That is way too slow, are you using the usb 3 ports on the back panel of the motherboard? My USB 2 drives do faster transfers than your USB 3.

could be a cheap flash drive.
  9. Yes, it is a cheap flash drive. Even my good 2.0 usb drives transfer at about the same rate.
Ask a new question

Read More

Flash Media Intel Intel i5 USB3 Storage