Sign in with
Your question

OC for i3

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
June 7, 2010 5:58:13 PM

i'm using i3 530 (stock cooler) + GIgabyte 55S2H + 2GB DDR 3 1333 + WD 500 GB HDD with ATX casing with one casing fan

my current CPU temp is around 30-35C idel and MB chipset temp is around 50 C idel

i'm just a computer novice and plz help me in these questions

1.what's the max SAFE temp for the CPU and chipset(i3 and H55)?
2. my mobo utility contain "turbo boost", small application that OC the processor.
it has 3 modes for OC with increasing speeds, i haven't tried it yet but
can i do this with stock cooler and with current temp. (my stock is 2.93, step 1 is around 3.2, step 2 is around 3.5 and step 3 is around 3.8)
3. and the intel HD graphic is comparable to what series (ati) 4350 or ???

let me know about these questions

with many thanks

More about : question

a b à CPUs
June 7, 2010 7:20:47 PM

Quote:

1.what's the max SAFE temp for the CPU and chipset(i3 and H55)?

That depends on how long you want the cpu to last. Extreme overclockers go as high as 95 C +, but they can do so since they only want the CPU to last through a few days. Obviously this setting is unrealistic in a stable long lasting desktop setup. The general consensus is that a max CPU temp of about 70 - 75 C is acceptable with a ~ 4 GHz overclock.

Quote:
2. my mobo utility contain "turbo boost", small application that OC the processor.
it has 3 modes for OC with increasing speeds, i haven't tried it yet but
can i do this with stock cooler and with current temp. (my stock is 2.93, step 1 is around 3.2, step 2 is around 3.5 and step 3 is around 3.8)

The inbuilt overclocking programs are mostly a gimmick, being often unreliable, since they don't vary all the overclocking parameters correctly; for eg, in some cases, you cannot adjust RAM timings after a point. No self respecting overclocker will run OC tools of the motherboard as the primary OC means. Nothing beats good old fashioned OCing through BIOS.
In your case, you could try the OC modes, though I doubt you can go much higher. You should be fine with your stock cooler.

Quote:
3. and the intel HD graphic is comparable to what series (ati) 4350 or ???

Both have a different feature set, though you could say that the onboard chipset is roughly three quarters as good as the 4670 for gaming.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 7, 2010 7:47:19 PM

I stand corrected.
m
l
Related resources
June 9, 2010 10:44:37 AM

my CPU temp on load ( i run 4 video format conversion + 1 non HD movie playing + CNC General playing simultaneously for 15 minutes) and it's about 56 max.

so what can i do the OC.
do u mean max 70 C is safe for CPU on long term use. (my daily use is about 3-4 hours)?
so my mobo is Gigabyte H55S2H. so can u tell me in detail in steps to OC about to 3.5GHz. (easy way if)

thanks again
m
l
June 9, 2010 10:48:30 AM

my CPU temp on load ( i run 4 video format conversion + 1 non HD movie playing + CNC General playing simultaneously for 15 minutes) and it's about 56 max.

so what can i do the OC.
do u mean max 70 C is safe for CPU on long term use. (my daily use is about 3-4 hours)?
so my mobo is Gigabyte H55S2H. so can u tell me in detail in steps to OC about to 3.5GHz. (easy way if)

thanks again
m
l
!