Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Curious about rumors

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 12, 2010 5:37:34 AM

I am looking between sli and crossfire. Im a pretty serious gamer and I've come to realize a few things. Im going to be building a new pc and need some insight.

Specs:
Asus rampage2 gene
i7 930
6 gig mushkin enhanced redlines cas 6
roswill extreme 950w sli crossfire ready psu
liquid cooling system
AOC F22 22" Class Widescreen LCD Monitor - 1080p, 1920x1080, 30000:1 Dynamic, 16:9, 5ms, DVI, VGA

My options
2 gtx280s for 520 or so
1 gtx295 for like 590
2 radeon 5870s for lik 550
1 radeon 5970 for 600

Now since I cant get the full max resolution(rumor #1) out of these cards combined due to my monitor, is it worth me getting a sli or crossfire setup? Is the list of games supporting sli and vast and is it going to grow(rumor #2)? Are either single gards better then either dual setup(exp. 295 better then 2 280s)? The other reasons needed to know are for cooling. If single card I can go with a cheaper setup for my LCS and with double I can manage a somewhat cheap solution. Thanks in advance to all who ponder.

More about : curious rumors

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
March 12, 2010 6:11:26 AM

Rumor #1.
Quote:
Now since I cant get the full max resolution(rumor #1) out of these cards combined due to my monitor, is it worth me getting a sli or crossfire setup?

You can get max resolution on your monitor. I think you are confusing some things here. All the configurations you showed are OVERKILL for your resolution. That means that a single card will be able to max out all games at that particular resolution. So SLI and Crossfire are not needed, a SINGLE 5870 will be perfect for you.

Rumor #2.
Quote:
Is the list of games supporting sli and vast and is it going to grow(rumor #2)?

SLI and Crossfire are being supported by the majority of current games. There are some exceptions but a decent game will have this capability.
March 12, 2010 2:17:47 PM

So I take it sli and crossfire setups are more for extreme resolutions with extreme monitor capabilities. Lol, for 17 or so years i've sadly settled for medium graphics options. I really wanna piss on the option and crank the s&%t outta my games.

Im sure there would be a small benefit of gain with the dual and not to say your wrong or anything cause you know far more then I do about it...but in terms of long term time my wife wont let me buy anything ever again after this lol. Say 2 years go buy, games get more demanding and the single card wont press the max res of my monitor anymore. Would it be more beneficial for me to get the dual setup now for furture use or do you think there would still be no use. Please understand this is a 1 shot every 10 years deal for me so its what I can get thats powerful as hell now and I can overclock after warranties run off for the future. Once I get what I want here and now lol thats it. Take it from me...a guy on a p3. I already made that mistake of getting everything underkill to save money and not thinking about future advancements. Also I saw you suggested an ATI and no Nvidia. ATIs better?
I've been asking myself that question. Thanks again.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 12, 2010 2:45:46 PM

so maybe get 1 5870 now and one later when you need more performance...

Is a delayed purchase which will save money - that the wife will understand ;) 
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
March 12, 2010 3:05:32 PM

Unless you already bought the PSU, try and get a Corsair 650W/750W. This'll save money and power (money).

Also, 1x HD5870 is indeed good enough for your 1920x1080 resolution. Whenever you need to, you can crossfire another one.
m
l
March 13, 2010 1:54:52 AM

shadow187 said:
Unless you already bought the PSU, try and get a Corsair 650W/750W. This'll save money and power (money).

Also, 1x HD5870 is indeed good enough for your 1920x1080 resolution. Whenever you need to, you can crossfire another one.

yup, forgot the drop in cards needs less power thanks man
m
l
March 23, 2010 3:46:14 PM

Best answer selected by quinlen.
m
l
!